Grid Sage Forums

• May 19, 2024, 11:10:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: More smart AI for more smart robots  (Read 781 times)

Laida

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
More smart AI for more smart robots
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:24:01 AM »

Hello.
It is somewhat confusing that robots, which according to the plot, should be very smart, in fact, have AI so dumb as any other robots. I mean, analysts, researchers, tinkerers, key plot characters...

Example 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Example 2:
Example 3:

I saw some conversations about AI at forum but didn't find exactly this kind of suggestion, so opened a new thread about it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:26:18 AM by Laida »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: More smart AI for more smart robots
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:39:19 PM »

The thing about AI development is that it's an endless rabbit hole. I know because I've spent literally two entire years of my life developing smart AI for a game before. In the end it's not worth the vast amount of work involved and I decided I wouldn't expend lots of resources on diminishing returns like that. The time is far better spent adding other content and features.

I mean yeah if someone wanted to pay me to develop Cogmind for many more years I could do lots of cool stuff, but I have a super long list of great features to add so everything has to be prioritized accordingly. A lot of them will just never happen.

That said, honestly the examples you bring up are minor points when you think about these characters from their point of view, or within the world's lore:
I believe you're thinking more from a human point of view, or your own.

Now there are definitely other ways the AI could be improved, probably discussed here before, but AI that is super smart or realistic in every way is not generally desirable in game design.

One of the biggest examples is squads of hostiles that will wait outside doorways when clearly they could swarm into a room and surround you to take advantage of their numbers. That was intentionally as such to increase survivability and allow for extra tactics around doorways. (There are some other ways you can even exploit the enemy AI, but I won't point them out here because they're things you can figure out on your own ;))

Predictable not-entirely-smart AI mixed with numerous game mechanics (and multiple types of AI behaviors) is better than realism.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Laida

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:08:31 AM »

I believe you're thinking more from a human point of view, or your own.
Yes, of course. Every time when people try to imagine an intelligent being, they actually imagine something with human-like mind, because we haven't examples of other type of intelligence in the real life. Modern deep learning and other "intelligence" artificial systems are still very-very far beyound self-awareness. And when we try to make some artificial intelligent agent, in the best case it have a deep imprint of that it's creator considers as "intelligent".
One of the biggest examples is squads of hostiles that will wait outside doorways when clearly they could swarm into a room and surround you to take advantage of their numbers. That was intentionally as such to increase survivability and allow for extra tactics around doorways.
Yep, I understood that this was made intentionally.
The thing about AI development is that it's an endless rabbit hole. I know because I've spent literally two entire years of my life developing smart AI for a game before. In the end it's not worth the vast amount of work involved and I decided I wouldn't expend lots of resources on diminishing returns like that. The time is far better spent adding other content and features.
Yes, AI development is really hard, that's why we very rarely see AI which is comparable with human player in games. But it is theoretically possibly. I imagine that it would be really cool to see good AI in the game about robot civilization, because it is so thematic there! But I know that this only one of many suggestions and possibilities how to improve the game. Players definitely want zilion cool features in games, just because they will not implement them by themselves.  ;D

As a maybe little off-topic:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:48:53 AM »

Hehe, yeah genetic learning is awesome, something I've always wanted to experiment with ever since I learned about it, too. The thing is most game systems are hard to model well in a way that genetic AIs can take advantage of. Even GOAP is hard to model in games much simpler than Cogmind.

But in the end really smart AI is rarely worth the trouble, at least for most types of games. Cogmind uses basic FSMs like a lot of games, very good for control of the design, which is important in keeping outcomes generally predictable given a constant environment. Unpredictability is fun in certain games, but there are already plenty of sources of challenge in Cogmind that this doesn't need to be one of them :P

More content and features add a lot more value compared to further AI adjustments. In that vein, additional types of robots and factions with their own new AI just happen to be included on the list of stuff I'd like to do. No idea how far we'll get with that though, since I've gotta stop some time if support for development drops off too much... Time will tell!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon