Grid Sage Forums

• May 14, 2024, 10:10:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Attachment hotkeys?  (Read 2154 times)

Sylverone

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Attachment hotkeys?
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:26:23 AM »

Just throwing this out there. Do you folks think that being able to set some sort of inventory hotkeys to quickly swap equipment would be useful enough to bother adding?

For example, I'm walking around with a large storage unit, and I have a few weapons, my heatsink, and weapon shielding; but on the other hand my datajack, sensor array, and signal analyzer (or hacking suite). Would it be useful to be able to set a hotkey for one loadout and another hotkey for the second, so that you could perform all of the swaps faster? Obviously it would break once those items left your inventory, although it could be made to work in a logical way somehow. I'm unsure about this idea since I haven't reached the higher levels yet, so I don't know how hectic it gets there.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
Re: Attachment hotkeys?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:37:04 AM »

I can't say I'd use something like that. Frequently swapping parts is matter-intensive - I only really swap in/out hackware. Also, I'd caution against the use of sensor arrays if you aren't moving very fast, but if it works it works.

Sylverone

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:50:54 AM »

Ah, yeah, I'm just on wheels. Still a beginner, so I'm testing things out. Thanks for the tips.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 06:03:41 AM »

Just throwing this out there. Do you folks think that being able to set some sort of inventory hotkeys to quickly swap equipment would be useful enough to bother adding?
I've imagined this feature several times in the past, mostly during my own playtesting when I thought it might occasionally be nice to have "sets" of parts that could be swapped out for different situations. But like biomatter says, one problem would be the high matter cost. On top of that, we have the fact that you often lose parts so a set would pretty quickly become invalidated, and another big issue is the need for additional interface support for setting up such a thing. If parts were more persistent I could certainly see it making sense, as you have similar features in other games, but probably not Cogmind.

Also, I'd caution against the use of sensor arrays if you aren't moving very fast, but if it works it works.
I disagree :)

Knowing what enemies are where, regardless of your speed, is pretty useful for giving yourself the tactical advantage by maneuvering to an optimal spot. Or at least staying clear of suboptimal positions.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Supernovadx

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:17:59 AM »

Just throwing out similar ideas. What about a similar item autoswap. Like I've got aluminum legs in my propultion category. I also have a couple stockpiled in my inventory. If my legs from my hull get damaged it might be nice to have it auto replace the legs from the inventory in if they get too damaged or become unusable.

I'm on the fence with this. What do ya'll think?
-SupernovaDX

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 06:39:17 AM »

Just throwing out similar ideas. What about a similar item autoswap. Like I've got aluminum legs in my propultion category. I also have a couple stockpiled in my inventory. If my legs from my hull get damaged it might be nice to have it auto replace the legs from the inventory in if they get too damaged or become unusable.

I'm not sure what people do in general with damaged/undamaged items that are the same, but I vary whether I replace a damaged item with the same item depending upon how much matter I've have stockpiled and how much room I have in my inventory.  If I have the space I'll usually just leave a damaged item equipped until it's destroyed and then replace it with the undamaged one.  If the space isn't available I would just dump the damaged part, equip the new one and be on my merry way.

Obviously different scenarios can change this decision, but usually the time/matter/energy cost is worth saving while protecting the core with an item is going to be destroyed anyway (as long as you have the space).

I guess I'm also a bit of a control-freak.  Any option that would cause me to expend matter without me explicitly making that decision is not for me.

Edit:

To address the original post:  I have, on occasion, found that I'm swapping in and out hacking gear when accessing Terminals/Fabs/etc regularly and thought that it can be a little fiddly to do so.  That said, every time I do it I'm not necessarily swapping out the same parts as it depends upon the situation.  I'm not sure I would use a quick swap if it was made available.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:45:32 AM by jimmijamjams »

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »

BAD IDEA. Usually this happens in a fight. Most of the times you can see it's yellow an manoeuvre yourself to safer position. When it breaks you just don't move until fight is over. The time (and materials) needed to swap out stuff might make a huge difference. When the fight is over- yeah sure, fix yourself up, but then it's usually from the corpses of your foes.