Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 07:09:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Pure Core challenge run  (Read 2614 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Pure Core challenge run
« on: May 30, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »

Fresh off that SG loss, time for an equally fun but slightly less crazy challenge mode!

Pure Core is the mode where you cannot carry anything in inventory--no spare parts! This mode is a bit friendlier to flight, which doesn't need much in the way of spares, but I... can't stop myself from combatting :). I did find some prototype flight units early on and against my better judgment tried that for a bit, but I'm just not cut out for flight and ended up going back to combat before long on the same floor :P

Across about three hours of streaming we made it through some caves, got imprinted as planned, and have arrived at -3/Research where things will likely get tougher. The stream has been .

I was thinking of going mostly legs for this, since spare legs are the easiest propulsion to come by when you're combat, but I ended up on a 1-wheel + treads setup and started really liking it for the speed when outside combat combined with treads for combat use and protective value. It's really nice! I started with just a basic wheel, but then upgraded to an Arm. Huge Wheel and was more recently joined by little Centrium wheels as well :D (Not even overweight anymore!)

Strategy-wise the main goal was to avoid branches, and especially caves (attrition danger!), so I made sure to know where exits lead before taking them. That said, I decided that in the long-term, considering the lack of inventory I would like to find Zion in order to significantly increase the chances of winning this run. (It's funny I say this, though, because technically I've never won a single run after imprinting, even regular runs, as I end up using the resulting capabilities to get myself into more trouble--this time will be different! Right? :P. Seriously though, I'm being a lot more careful with it this time, and things are going well.)

Some highlights and more commentary:

Me trying to flight. Yeah no.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sentry misses! Sentry hits reactor! Reactor explodes! Cover is destroyed! Oh look there's also another squad that was behind the wall to the east! (that Min. Assault Cannon carried for quite a while, though--I gathered all these fools around the other reactor then blew it up ;))

Made it mostly through the caves on -7 before discovering via Derelict Log that Zion was at a different depth, so bailed early. Visiting as few Proxy caves as possible is a good idea without any inventory for backup :P

This was more or less my build for much of the mid-game (notice that cannon is still there, it really did stick around for ages and was only later gone because I gave it up for a slightly different loadout).
Also pictured are the two drone-discovered exits I wasn't 100% sure about (was looking for the caves to Zion here), so I ended up spending a while traveling around before taking a Watcher's Signal Interpreter to figure out what they were--Extension and Factory!--and then hacked all branch exits at a Terminal (it was worth getting traced!) which revealed the caves exit I wanted... near the starting area xD

Found a Behemoth in the caves, but just ran from it and made it to Zion. Zion had some great stuff, but nothing I could use without an inventory! In any case, imprinting was the goal. Here we are exiting for the trip back.

Having a bunch of derelict logs made -5 pretty trivial since all the Terminals and non-interactive machines were revealed, plus a Factory exit :D

Here's my Z army making its way through -4 with me.

And this is where we left off! My weapons are a bit outdated for Research. Gonna have to deal with that. Also my utilities could use an overhaul xD

Funny enough I haven't come across a single launcher at all this run, perhaps for the better since I can't keep it in my inventory and it'll probably cause more trouble than it's worth in the short term. Swarmer management hasn't been too much trouble even without AOE.

I'll try to stream the conclusion tomorrow. Pure Core Win?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Pure Core challenge run
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 01:05:49 AM »

... Pure Core win!

It was a close one, but a win nonetheless. Got that Light Traveler achievement after finishing the last three floors in the next stream, uploaded to YouTube .

These guys do not want me to reach that exit :P
(The Signal Interpreter I'd specifically attached to identify the exit and avoid branches, but it so happens I had a Sensor Array, too, so uncharacteristically had an infowar build going. The point was to mostly avoid combat, but I didn't do a great job of that in most cases!)

That exit led to Armory though, so more searching ensued and we eventually came across a Research exit.

After a while in Research I eventually lost my friends, including the Experimental that kicked lots of butt, and used their remnants to turn into a walking half-Zionite.

First and only launcher of the entire run, a Gamma Bomb Array! It did some good work.

This Access layout was pretty scary though, and even though I could see most of the trouble coming before it arrived, there wasn't a lot I could do about it with my build (and couldn't switch anything up because no inventory :P), so ended up getting into a lot of trouble.

Like here, even after the bombing killed almost all of the pursuers from the west, here's another squad from the east (saw them coming earlier :/) and two more, one to the southwest and another to the northeast! Lots the Array almost immediately after this.

But I took care to preserve the Terminal to the east of that room and scurried over there to summon some reinforcements which killed a attackers and allowed me to stock up a bit before taking off again. Time to run like hell!

These Wizards also fought valiantly in my defense :). This is where I picked up a pile of pure tread armor that saved what little core I had left.

By this point most of the pursuers were still following but rather far behind, then of course we had to run by this nasty guy xD

Hahahahahaha! There was definitely a bit of map sense involved in locating the surface, but at the same time it sure was a good thing I took out the Energy Cycler near where I entered Access... (although it could've been that same act which contributed to the large number of patrols I encountered--or maybe that was just due to the layout funneling them through the same pathway I took)

End game screen/stats:

It's also kinda funny that this doubles as my first ever win while imprinted. The streak is broken! :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:14:00 AM by Kyzrati »

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 02:12:36 AM »

Thanks for the writeup. Nice win  8)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:20:46 AM »

It's fun to watch RNG forcing you to play flight/core hover to win recently. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 04:28:25 AM »

Haha, I'm just generally not good enough on stream to reliably fight my way through Access. With more preparation and branch exploration wins go more smoothly, but I prefer playing with the RNG tuned up anyway--more exciting that way :P