Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 11:38:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Super Gauntlet challenge run  (Read 2413 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Super Gauntlet challenge run
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:26:02 AM »

Finally streaming something that's not a weekly seed for a standard run :)

I normally do my writeups in the weekly seed thread, but since this one is different I'll post it here instead.

I've only ever played Super Gauntlet once before, and it was a lot of fun so I'd always planned to do one on stream, so here we are.

and I'm still alive at halfway through 0b10.

Technically this actually includes my third SG run, because I had a very mediocre build in the first run and died in like 45 minutes after working my way into far too much trouble in a garrison. But at the beginning I did do the whole intro about what SG is about, and some related strategy talk.

On the first run it was too easy to overextend myself because twice in a row I got really lucky and found the garrison right near the starting area!

In the "real" run which is still ongoing, I skipped through the early areas quickly, and although it took a lot more searching around to find the way forward, my build has been a lot more solid, especially having found a decent number of launchers. I did jump into a chute trap once when they started sending assaults after me, and although I've spent quite a while traveling around, twice now I've eventually been able to hone in on the right destinations after lucking out with Index(Garrisons) at 10%.

Some highlights:

The first run went mostly on wheels, here headed into the second garrison (which killed me!):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tons of enemies, this is all that's left and I killed

I did manage to rebuild, but the first exit was locked and... notice my core xD. So this is where it ended.

Now here's what I call a nice cache! Great start for the new run, and this time I went for legs rather than wheels because they've got more integrity and spares are easier to come by in garrisons.

Chute time! It was pretty uneventful down there. By this point I'd already searched a third of the map and had multiple assaults, so I really needed to get out.

And when I looped back in? Woohoo! Garrisons located, and it wouldn't have been possible without that nice Hacking Suite :). I like to carry around one or two to attach specifically when it's time to seek out access points.

Sometimes a little corruption is nice ;). I was trying to push out of the room because it's a bad place to defend, and a single cannon misfire blasted the Programmer to death in one shot. Also check out all these launchers I'm collecting... (and in the inventory there is a Waste-acquired HERF cannon, which I repaired shortly after this)

Later I switched to Arm. Huge Wheels for a bit after finding a stash, then took on the next garrison which got pretty hairy and I was down to only a couple non-launcher weapons. Took out a garrison Behemoth with my HERF + Proton Missiles, which of course gives loot for days and I rebuilt into a treading death bot.

Now I'm headed into -5/Factory and need to find some decent weapons again after finally losing the pair of Cld. Particle Cannons which carried really well...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Super Gauntlet challenge run
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:52:56 PM »

Finished! As expected it wasn't a win, but it was a pretty decent run nonetheless.

In part 2 () I made it through -5/Factory, then another garrison and part of -4 before finally succumbing to one too many assaults. In general I was moving too slow and didn't have any great plans for late-game SG, so alert caught up with me.

I switched back to legs for a bit towards the end which helped, but still not enough. Too bad because I had already set up a couple botnets, saw a Terminal (even got the data core from the Operator!), and located some hackware, but I couldn't take advantage of that because an assault showed up at just wrong time xD. I lost much longer after that, but that's where things could've gone very differently if the assault had shown up just 20 turns later.

Some highlights...

About to get rid of some annoyances in -5:

Shortly after that I saw another bot summon garrison reinforcements and used that to locate the garrison itself:

Trick shot into their rear!

Didn't have the firepower to take out these squads, so time to use the environment to my advantage ;)

I did get them all, and even more that showed up afterward, but the consequences were... kinda dire :P

Spoiler: Score: 34,697 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon