Grid Sage Forums

• May 16, 2024, 04:51:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Vertical design  (Read 1407 times)

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Vertical design
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »

Hello

Cogmind propose superb gameplay design. For instance the nice ASCII art and the "no XP paradigm" are great and remind me of Brogue.

Maybe it is too ambitious, but it would be awesome to have more vertical floors. See the pits in Brogue. You could have bridges and pits all the same in Cogmind. Of course since you're ascending from the beginning, falling would delay your escape mission (you would be back one floor lower) and damage you (except if you're flying/hovering), but could be a way to lose your pursuers (except the flying swarmers).

This would be like Brogue. But there is a more awesome idea (just kidding here  ;)) : floors designed originally and procedurally in several 3D-levels that you could reach by flying/hovering, or using ramps. Vision would be blocked by a higher landing, and you could see a bit below in the pits.

Not to mention light management with sources of light, infrared vision associated with the heat generated by the robots. Well I am not sure at all it would be coherent with all your design, it could be totally inappropriate. But I would be glad to read your opinion about all this.

All the best

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Vertical design
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »

Thank you :)

Before beginning work on Cogmind, one of the very first questions I asked was "2D or 3D?" Referring of course to map layout, not 3D visuals. As important as that factor would be to just about everything, it had to be decided at the start. (The reason I even thought to ask that question was that the 3D environment works extremely well in one of my other games, X@COM.)

I decided that limiting maps to a flat plane with no interaction between planes would enable a wider variety of balanced mechanics, especially considering that "flying" is technically a very valid and common way to move. I didn't want it to get out of hand and create an almost completely alternate side game (fast flying already involves quite different gameplay than confrontational strategies as is).

That said, Alpha 3 does come with a new feature that adds a bit more "verticality" to the game. You'll have to discover it on your own ;)

Not to mention light management with sources of light, infrared vision associated with the heat generated by the robots. Well I am not sure at all it would be coherent with all your design, it could be totally inappropriate. But I would be glad to read your opinion about all this.
Having an infrared view as a general mechanic was something I considered very early as well (even back during the 7DRL), but it doesn't add enough meaningful variety to the gameplay to justify its existence as a general mechanic. However, I do have an idea for an IR trails mechanic that might make it into the game eventually, implemented instead in combination with utilities.

Light mechanics would, I think, overcomplicate the game, so the knowledge factor is best simplified to a few types of sensors. As you might be be able to tell from examining a list of in-game parts, I like the idea of optional sensors that provide extra information in various forms, something that my vision for a new IR sensor would be compatible with, but adding too many "universal" mechanics changes the feel of the entire experience.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »

I agree about the universal light mechanics, the benefits would not be that important in front of all you would need to build to get it.

Thanks for your answer !

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »

... Y'know, IR sensors letting you both see enemy heat levels on the info screen and gain increasing accuracy as they get hotter could be a great combination info/combat item.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »

You already get to see enemy heat levels on their info screen for free.

But perhaps a combination accuracy bonus from the planned utility that enables you to spot heat trails would be interesting. It would have to be weaker compared to targeting computers, though, so not a huge help and perhaps not worth complicating the situation with...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon