Grid Sage Forums

• May 14, 2024, 10:24:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Popup for special item text  (Read 1657 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Popup for special item text
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:14:17 AM »

It would be nice to have a popup like for Analysis and Traits that lets you view special item text when Label Supporter Items is on.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Popup for special item text
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:29:49 AM »

By special item you probably mean the occasional descriptions that a few items have? If so yes that's something I've wanted to do for a while but it's been pretty low priority since the Label Supporter Items is optional, and off by default. That and it'll be a rather lot of work for something which I believe isn't quite compatible with all item data layouts. I'd have to do a complete review of the data to see.

Now that there's at least a basic framework for having buttons on that page it'd be a little quicker to implement, and this actually happens to be really high on the list of near-term features to investigate because some weeks ago during another discussion it was found that specifically the gallery is missing access to certain item descriptions which hold stats, and a button would solve that if possible.

In any case, yeah I know about this and it might happen.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »

By special item you probably mean the occasional descriptions that a few items have? If so yes that's something I've wanted to do for a while but it's been pretty low priority since the Label Supporter Items is optional, and off by default.

Yes, things like Treads (to pick a common example) and certain special late game items.

If there was also a way to get the '!' by items which aren't in my gallery yet without turning Label Supporter Items on that would also work for my particular case, but it would also be nice to be able to read descriptions in the gallery for all items.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 06:21:51 PM »

Ah yeah separating the two into different options is a really quick middle ground that would work if a separate popup isn't feasible. We'll see!

Joshua

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »

A few other items: PC / IPC text, and trap descriptions  (eg EM Surge Trap) saying how much damage they do don't seem to show up in the gallery.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:17:46 PM »

Yeah I know, they've been on the list. Anything with a description was left out because it doesn't fit in the regular format. Even in the regular game for a long while PC didn't even show the fact that they did lots of both standard and AOE damage.

Joshua

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 04:45:38 AM »

Yeah I know, they've been on the list. Anything with a description was left out because it doesn't fit in the regular format. Even in the regular game for a long while PC didn't even show the fact that they did lots of both standard and AOE damage.

Oh, wow. I would say this is still not clear. :) I thought the damage amount shown was for the AOE damage, based on the description. I didn't realize they did standard damage in addition. It probably is in the combat log if I read it closely enough, I suppose, and perhaps even the description (maybe I just didn't read carefully enough again).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:38:49 AM »

No you're correct, it is for the AOE damage. It's perfectly clear :)

I'm referring to how it used to be, when the game detected it as a weapon with an explosion and treated it as a launcher, which have no direct damage, but the PC is special and has both. So now it shows both of these, the projectile damage listed under the word "Projectile" in the normal place for cannons, and additional AOE damage listed in the description.

Joshua

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 02:54:29 PM »

No you're correct, it is for the AOE damage. It's perfectly clear :)

I'm referring to how it used to be, when the game detected it as a weapon with an explosion and treated it as a launcher, which have no direct damage, but the PC is special and has both. So now it shows both of these, the projectile damage listed under the word "Projectile" in the normal place for cannons, and additional AOE damage listed in the description.

No, I assumed the damage listed under the word Projectile was the AOE damage as further explained in the text. It may be perfectly clear in the description but I misunderstood. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 04:01:47 AM »

It's been a long time since I visited the bottom area of the item info window, which had become rather complex over the years, but after a complete review it seems like we can have both description and gallery status info visible simultaneously in most cases for Beta 6 :)

For the gallery I'll instead remove fabrication info and have description be there by default. Fabrication details aren't nearly as important, but are still available via exporting.

With regard to treads, the one type of item which uses a lot of stats plus both effect and description text, they'll simply not have room to show their collection status at the bottom. But I'll be making the '!' always appear next to item label names by default regardless of labelSupporterItems setting, so it'll still be possible to see which are yet uncollected.

Joshua

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 05:50:09 AM »

That sounds great. Thank you! I know I've certainly gotten my money's worth in entertainment from this game and you just keep making it better and better.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 05:56:08 AM »

Lots more cool stuff to come! I'm actually using this opportunity to revisit the item info overall and making some other improvements at the same time... We're also going to get to expose the forced spread mechanic arc values that were added not too long ago.