• May 13, 2024, 02:15:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alpha 5/5b/5c Discussion  (Read 8349 times)

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha 5/5b Discussion
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 03:03:27 AM »

I *just* got through recycling and into factory. 10/10 would visit recycling again for the benefits. Not gonna spoil it :). But, it's pretty awesome. Though, based on what happened down there, I feel like there are gonna be some consequences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: The change in volley timings is quite fun. It seems to have a definite, positive impact on the pacing. I feel more powerful. I had a run in alpha 5 where I got to research -3 before I knew it. The game flowed so well.

Edit 2: Also, the new inventory swapping scheme is quite useful even with its quirks (which zxc already pointed out). It saved me a quite a bit of time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:04:26 AM by Sherlockkat »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »

Though if we take it that far then it means targeting your allies will also appear green. (Or would you want that to be red as a warning?)

Orange/yellow?
I do like the idea of a different color for allies. Yellow (closer to green) sounds good if the LOF is clear and you're aiming at an ally (and still red in either case where LOF to cursor is blocked). Though requiring confirmation is probably still better since attacking allies is not something you generally want to do, anyway.

I often have this problem where if I hold alt to look around the map it acts as though I'm not holding alt, and instead moving my character around. I am pretty much certain this is a problem with my keyboard. It's weird and I only experience this issue in Cogmind, but I don't really use the alt key as a modifier in other games/programs so I haven't noticed it anywhere else. It's a bit dangerous when I try to look around for an escape route and end up moving my character! I have to remember to tap alt once or twice before looking around.
Are you Alt-Tabbing between programs occasionally? This is a known issue with SDL and Windows. When you Alt-Tab, the modifier key is often remembered in the wrong state. It's not something I can even detect, because it's a problem beyond my engine. I've tried several solutions but nothing works perfectly :/

It happens in a other Windows/SDL programs, too, but they don't use the Alt key so much, certainly not as much as Cogmind does... I had to! We needed all the keys :P

As such, you have to remember to tap the key once or twice after returning to the game to reset it :(

@Sherlockkat: Good to hear all that! And of course there are consequences ;). Maybe not big enough, but time will tell... I didn't want to start it out too serious.

Today while testing the new high scores output I see you've already topped the "furthest area reached" chart :) (I haven't uploaded the data yet--skipping a day due to the new release.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »

I often have this problem where if I hold alt to look around the map it acts as though I'm not holding alt, and instead moving my character around. I am pretty much certain this is a problem with my keyboard. It's weird and I only experience this issue in Cogmind, but I don't really use the alt key as a modifier in other games/programs so I haven't noticed it anywhere else. It's a bit dangerous when I try to look around for an escape route and end up moving my character! I have to remember to tap alt once or twice before looking around.
Are you Alt-Tabbing between programs occasionally? This is a known issue with SDL and Windows. When you Alt-Tab, the modifier key is often remembered in the wrong state. It's not something I can even detect, because it's a problem beyond my engine. I've tried several solutions but nothing works perfectly :/

It happens in a other Windows/SDL programs, too, but they don't use the Alt key so much, certainly not as much as Cogmind does... I had to! We needed all the keys :P

As such, you have to remember to tap the key once or twice after returning to the game to reset it :(

I alt tab a lot so this sounds like the culprit!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 09:16:54 AM »

There you go. I Alt-Tab a ton, too, certainly a lot with Cogmind as well while it's under development, so a fix for this would be so awesome, but isn't going to happen :/. Using Alt in a control scheme is always somewhat dangerous since it's also sometimes a system key, but at least Windows doesn't outright co-opt the key in many situations like Linux does. (Since Windows has its own Windows key on keyboard, which is a really nice idea.)

It's probably worth mentioning this quirk in the Advanced UI section of the manual.

Draco18s

• Cyborg
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 10:31:36 AM »

Alt-tab being a problem is what prompted Acen Games to put little notifiers next to the mouse showing modifier key state. E.g. "alt,ctrl" when both alt and ctrl were detected as being down (nothing if no modified were down).

And that's for games running on Unity! Is a pretty widespread problem.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 09:47:48 PM »

Yeah, it's really annoying, a problem with Windows API messages. Interesting that Arcen did that! I got around most of the related problems by constantly detecting and storing the states, and resetting them when they look wrong, but unfortunately it doesn't work in all cases... sometimes SDL just doesn't have the right data at hand.

Also very interesting to know that even Unity has this issue.

Draco18s

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »

Yeah, they tried the reset trick too and had the same issue: that it didn't always work.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 10:48:57 PM »

I equipped some treads off the floor. The treads being inspected were the ones the game decided to drop. They have more integrity than the red ones.
Hm, I've gone into to both explicitly test this as well as take a very close look at the small section of code governing this specific part of the feature (integrity comparison for same-type items) and I can't see or repeat any problem with it :/

I've got a test scenario set up with dozens of randomly damaged Lgt. Treads
and no matter what order I try to attach everything, directly from the ground and/or from the inventory, it always replaces the right ones.

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »

today i explored the recycling-branch and just want to say something about.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...aaand question:

-any infos about the hacking-system in the future?
(how many botnet-trojans for a most effective hack, what parts are needed for if parts needed for, what i have to do that hacking becomes easier and not harder...it seems that the botnet-trojan is total senseless
because i had a botnet of 4 terminals and i was not able to seal a garrisson with security-level 1, a little overview about the system behind or so would be nice)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:07:08 PM by Enno »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 08:55:34 PM »

Hehe, whether or not you want to use the new branches will depend on your strategy. I promise they are all useful in one or more ways! Funny (but not unexpected) that your opinion of Recycling is the direct opposite of the only other player who's reported going there--they said they're definitely going back ;)

Congratulations on reaching some of the new areas; I see on the leaderboard that you were blown away in one of them :P

About botnet Trojans, the mechanic/benefit is show directly in the game. Examine the infected terminal and click on the botnet listing (or any other active Trojan) for a description of what it does.

Sealing a Garrison is intentionally quite difficult, meant only for really good hackers. (Right now good hackers are tough to build and maintain, though, something that will change later on.)
Spoiler: Anti-garrison tactics (click to show/hide)

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 03:59:30 AM »

About botnet Trojans, the mechanic/benefit is show directly in the game. Examine the infected terminal and click on the botnet listing (or any other active Trojan) for a description of what it does.
haha it seems to be a classic beginners mistake, because i never examined a infacted terminal...and yeah I did not see the forest for the trees cause thats the overview i was looking for. thanks.

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »

I have been playing a bit more and it feels like Trojan(assimilate) can use a buff. Operators are starting to get annoying. It is difficult to catch up with operators, especially in the early game, without hover/flight units. They are also hard to shoot down and are usually much closer to the terminals than I am. I went to storage a couple of times trying to get into recycling and the damn operators kept locking that terminal down. (On other news, you can't blow your way into recycling...)

I am not sure how you would buff the Trojan (or even whether one is required). It would be kinda cool if Trojan(assimilate) can have a level-wide effect instead of a terminal specific one. It might be overpowered in that case as there would be no reason not to do install that Trojan in some low-level terminal. You can counteract it by making sure only one operator is taken over by a single installation of the Trojan. If you want more, then you have to install more.

In light of the planned hacking overhaul, it probably doesn't make any sense to just buff this Trojan in a vacuum without considering other hacking buffs. Though, I am quite excited for hacking to be a viable playstyle in the upcoming alphas.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »

What you describe sounds like it's working as intended, really.

Spoiler: Anti-Operator tactics (click to show/hide)

So Trojan(Assimilate) is a less important method of dealing with them, just kind of a bonus for those hackers that can pull it off. And good hackers will generally be faster builds, though as you know we've discussed it's currently tough to be a truly good hacker (I was working on this yesterday, actually).

It sucks when an Operator keeps you from accessing a particular important door (rather than just any old terminal), but I like that as is, an Operator nearby being something you have to figure out how to deal with and it could very well mess up your plans. That said, there are a few super important terminals in the game now which will never have Operators.

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha 5/5b/5c Discussion
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »

Fair enough!! I was just really salty after taking a detour into storage and having the terminal locked down 3 times  :). There was very little I could have done about that. I walked out of a door and wham..terminal locked down. It kinda sucks to have your game plan ruined by something like that. But, I am guessing it's there to force you to adapt.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »

THREE times? Wow, that is bad luck...
Spoiler: secrets (click to show/hide)

I don't recall ever seeing that terminal locked down on my trips to Storage, but then maybe I didn't notice because it wasn't meaningful before Alpha 5 ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:21:14 AM by Kyzrati »

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 12:15:49 AM »

(By the way, there is another chance to get in even after it's locked, too, but I'm not telling.)

This is more of a clue than you offered me :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 12:24:09 AM »

Oh shoot, is it? I can't remember exactly what I said. I'm trying to be vague and there are so many levels of vagueness... I should keep my mouth shut on some topics :P

Draco18s

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »

Oh shoot, is it? I can't remember exactly what I said. I'm trying to be vague and there are so many levels of vagueness... I should keep my mouth shut on some topics :P

Sometimes though...you just can't wait to spill the beans.

I have a secret mechanic in a Minecraft mod I made and I had more fun waiting to see if anyone would figure it out (even with full source code available!) The only people that did found it by searching the github repo (it still took a long time before anyone tried), though one of them posted the relevant code section right there in the thread, didn't even use a spoiler tag.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 07:43:40 AM »

SometimesAlmost every day though...you just can't wait to spill the beans.

The only way to stop myself is to stay focused on adding yet more :P

I have a secret mechanic in a Minecraft mod I made and I had more fun waiting to see if anyone would figure it out (even with full source code available!) The only people that did found it by searching the github repo (it still took a long time before anyone tried),
That sounds great--it's definitely a lot of fun waiting! Just this evening I was wondering who would be the first to discover the chain of events that leads to this particular item in the Alpha 5 changelog:
* NEW: 1 major plot event
Not that it's super secret--as a plot event it will be discovered before too long, but still... New releases are fun like that :D

The really secret things are so rare that I generally completely forget about them myself :P. I have a dedicated secrets.txt file where I collect little things that I'll probably have no recollection of, because if I need to know them one day there's no way I'm going to find them in that pile o' source...

though one of them posted the relevant code section right there in the thread, didn't even use a spoiler tag.
:'(

Very grateful that so far everyone around here has been really good about tagging.

Draco18s

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 08:01:17 AM »

though one of them posted the relevant code section right there in the thread, didn't even use a spoiler tag.
:'(

Very grateful that so far everyone around here has been really good about tagging.

Yeah, I was a little annoyed. Still waiting for someone to figure it out without using the source code.  :D

It isn't likely, as it requires both chance of timing and less than optimal use of resources. Bit the reward is worth finding.
Pages: 1 [2]