Grid Sage Forums

• May 12, 2024, 10:07:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 13] 0b10 outpost sentry backup request is based on Cogmind's FOV  (Read 116 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

In order to request backup, outpost sentries of cave branches need to have made their pre-backup request statement.
In order to make that statement, they have to :
1 - Be tracking Cogmind.
2 - Do the same thing that NPCs like Exiles need to do when they want to tell you something, which is to say be within Cogmind's FOV.

This makes no sense whatsoever, as it means having a Visual Processing Unit-type utility can cause the sentry to request backup before it actually sees you (if you shoot it from afar, for example).
This also makes disabling visual range utilities a good idea (and makes Cloaking Devices useless for preventing backup) when attacking 0b10 outposts.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

This isn't a bug, it's just how that particular event is coded. Disable at your own risk!

You'll find a number of other events and situations that use a similar approach for various reasons.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

This isn't a bug, it's just how that particular event is coded.
I mean, everything in the game happens because that's how it was coded, including bugs.
I was more reporting the fact that it makes no sense using in-world logic, which is the defining characteristic of a lot of bugs. (It's also somewhat frustrating to figure out how that particular event works : Why would you assume it to be based on your own vision rather than the Sentry's?)

Disable at your own risk!
I'm not sure how i'd be disabling my Visual Processing Units with any risk, given that i usually know if there are other hostiles nearby, and that almost every time, i'll prefer missing a few shot against the sentry from not seeing it¹ rather than having tracking reinforcements sent after me.

(¹With traps or a good Sensor Array, i wouldn't even need to shoot in the dark.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 03:46:34 AM by R-26 Lightspeed »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

I mean, everything in the game happens because that's how it was coded, including bugs.
I know, I'm saying it's done that way intentionally.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon