Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 11:37:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #55 [Alpha 10] [Seed: Surprise Sunshine]  (Read 2150 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #55 [Alpha 10] [Seed: Surprise Sunshine]
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:42:53 AM »

This week's seed: Surprise Sunshine

Never lose hope!

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Surprise Sunshine] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #55 [Alpha 10] [Seed: Surprise Sunshine]
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:43:45 AM »

Do you dare take that plunge? :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 06:02:37 AM »

Ooh, our first seed with stairs staring you in the face. How inviting :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

lord

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »

It was the heavy marathon :D
Two last levels I was at war without power supplies.
// -5/Upper Caves
My final photo (I have only walked upstairs, and guys already waited for me):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Scores:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:04:55 PM by lord »

Gaspard

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 04:14:37 PM »

Score:

I recently restarted playing at cogmind, and while I'm still getting screwed over by some new additions (such as getting really lost in the caves!) I really had fun in this run.

At some point I had both a force-field and a remote shield generator. Wondered if hey stack? Also I lost way to many parts do to random cave ins.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 02:01:33 AM »

Cave-ins only occur in places where you (or more rarely, someone else) has blown out earth behind walls, usually via explosives, so it's generally best to avoid spending too much time traveling through such areas or you'll end up getting pummeled pretty badly!

Force fields and remote shield generators do stack, though during prolonged battles it's difficult to get enough energy to operate one for long, much less two :P. I find it really nice to have a shield when there's enough power for it, though, preferring to combine it with kinetic weapons which have less of their own energy drain.

Lots of new things to discover out there deep in the caves since you played last :)

@lord: Pretty decent run! Looks like you didn't make it out of the caves there xD. Caves are dangerous like that, since unlike the main complex it's not guaranteed you'll be in the clear on entering a new area :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 01:55:52 AM »

Can't stream yet because my new computer isn't set up with a mic and headset yet, but I decided to jump into this seed for the lure of that instant jump into the Mines :D

This happened to be quite an open Mines layout, and I got a visit from the ever feared infestation, though they didn't do much to me at all--it was the Demolishers that wanted me dead after taking care of most of the little guys. Still made it out, though! This is me saying goodbye :P (the stairs are under the Engineer)

Pretty bad shape leaving -9 as well!

-8 started with a garrison really close to the entrance, so I got out of there quickly, and actually located two exits pretty fast, though was in no shape to take them. Kinda needed propulsion first. But right after that I was in good shape, and good spirits, too, so I hung around and destroyed about 10 robots for fun :P

Made it to -5 pretty quickly, and was just hopping from stockpile to stockpile as fast as possible (on legs, anyway...) gathering everything up and moving along.

Decided to have some fun with this particular stockpile :D

Made a pretty big mess of -5. (Still haven't found any mid-game branches before standard exits, so upward it is!)

I let my build get too imbalanced--low matter and no cooling, and this is where I started to get worried, when they sent an assault after me...

They Imp unfortunately got to me, but after that I waited in the open for the Brawler to come to me, then slipped around it and through the west corridor to grab the matter left by the destruction of a bystander Recycler, then hung in the open and blasted everyone with Heavy Missiles :D

I was planning on originally heading into a garrison, but some patrolling Hunters approaching from the east really ripped me to pieces. So after that I was in no shape to be doing something like that!

But suddenly I'm hovering around with a Smartbomb Launcher (and worrying about the alert level...)

No more assaults in the near term, but met more Programmer and Hunter patrols. I'm not taking this run super seriously in terms of survival, doing a lot of fooling around, but it would be nice to find a way out of this so after taking out a few more patrols (and getting halfway annihilated), it looks like these little guys are the best option :P

I made it back to -4, but didn't find any weapons before I was reported, had to run from a Sentry, and rammed another Sentry to take the exit it was standing on. CAVES! Yeah, not in a great situation to be heading in here, but it could be survivable.

First thing that happens is some MAIN.C patrol from off screen starts attacking the wandering locals, and I duck behind a single column to the east and hear their screams of destruction, hoping that I can slip out at some point. They found me :(
My launcher is basic grenades only, and I'd have to get really lucky if trying to face these newer variants, so I think in this situation the best option is to run as best I can until I lose the leg, then drop the storage and run faster xD. All I can hope for is 1) not taking a wrong turn during my escape and 2) meeting some friends.

I got away from the first group, and you know what I met after that? A freaking Titan. Haha...

Got away from that, too, and ran into a derelict ambush, and also a MAIN.C outpost, all of which I escaped to find the exit. Of course, I'm still in the caves, heh. And not just "in the caves"--there's even a welcoming party for me.

But you know what, I still made it to Research, HA! Their first volley drained half of my remaining core, then I spend around the corner and there was the exit :D

The question is how to survive now.

This is what I could scrounge up before being simultaneously reported by an Operator, having Programmers called down on me, and running into a patrolling ARC xD. There's also a Behemoth just south guarding a ton of nice weapons I would really really like to have about now.
Then I tried to fire and notice I ran out of matter--noooooooooo xD

This is where I said Okay, you guys win.

Of course I didn't just quit, though. I ran around a few more corners and found a Fusion Bomb Launcher, which did a number on that group chasing me but I only got two shots off before losing it ;)

Spoiler: Score: 8,881 (click to show/hide)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

I shooed Data Miner away and took out the intel. Bad move. Those combat programmers hurt! It wouldn't have been so bad if the exit I took didn't lead to Lower Caves when I had 200 health left and no power source. I almost made it, but a bruiser got lucky apparently.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 07:09:25 PM »

Ooh, Decker is taking on Hard Mode :P

That's one hell of a score for only 4 evolutions, though. Also reminds me that I should separate out prototype kills from regular variant kills in the data so we can see just how many Combat Programmers you managed to take down! (Those and other robots which use standard-variant base classes, like Lightnings etc.)

Does look like you were in a good position to keep on trucking if you just had a power source, or had ascended rather than heading into caves xD