Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 01:04:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #52 [Alpha 10] [Seed: Hidden Secrets]  (Read 1307 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #52 [Alpha 10] [Seed: Hidden Secrets]
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »

This week's seed: Hidden Secrets

It is time for Cogmind to venture into the unknown.

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Hidden Secrets] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #52 [Alpha 10] [Seed: Hidden Secrets]
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 05:36:53 AM »

I streamed the first part of this week's seed, but my computer had a meltdown halfway through so I couldn't finish.

It was my first time ever doing a serious attempt at a flight build. Not exactly intentionally, though. Early on I got cocky and decided to fight a bunch of Swarmers out in the open, without any explosives. Yeah that didn't go so well. Mainly because I was attacked from other directions at the same time. By the time it was over all I could do was rebuild as a fast mover, and started finding all kinds of prototype flight units after that. So I took the plunge and decided to forgo any parts that didn't support that role.

Not as flashy as a combat run, that's for sure, since there is as little shooting as possible going on and you have to do a good bit of extra problem solving to avoid a nasty death.

My flight build was also somewhat awkward, being organized around a Lrg. Storage Unit, but it worked. -7 went quite well and just before I was about to step on the exit my computer died so there was no autosave for that floor :(

So later in the day I continued from the last autosave, the beginning of -7/Factory, and took a different path...

The rest of it I recorded via text and images: http://imgur.com/a/sdSUa

Summary: Flight saved me for a while. O8 reinforcements saved my life in the upper Factory. Did quite well all things considered. Based on this and many of my previous combat runs that have had similar encounters I'll probably be making some adjustments to garrison access. There really shouldn't be more than one near each other--encountering one is enough, and balanced for that scenario (there was that time I was surrounded by four :P).

Spoiler: Score: 13,261 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »

A good run this seed. I visited Warlord, and he came through in -2. I followed God Mode a little while then I went my way to Access in great shape (one issue here is that the game lags for several seconds with the big battle going on). I brought some followers from Research and about 15 drones, but they're pretty worthless in Access.

I died due to not finding the exit, with core health slowly running out through attrition. I made a naked run for it but the map wasn't cooperating. It's partly my fault since I didn't have sensors. I was experimenting with a new stealth/combat hybrid build using only 5 utilities (2-3 storages + 2-3 heat sinks). It still needs a little work.

I don't think Access is really survivable at alert level 5 with any combat build. There are just too many terminators. By the time you clear a batch, the next one is coming through. And even if you start at low security, given the rating of the hostiles there, the alert level climbs very fast.

Hoarding items with a high inventory doesn't really help. The hard part is finding the time to explore the map -- even if you're very fast, you're still hitting patrols non-stop, and corruption makes you constantly re-equip parts and go the wrong way. You can also forget about hacking. Staying combat capable is comparatively easy.

Given that, for now on I think I'll play Access mostly by stealth right on entry. Any combat build can be converted to a stealth build by dropping storage units / weapons and equipping hover/flight units. If you brought sensors, interpreters and perhaps some hacking suites, it probably makes Access easier. There's just one exit and it often takes forever to find it, so it helps to move around fast without being pursued too much.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:12:46 PM »

Nice almost-win! Warlord does make it easier.

(one issue here is that the game lags for several seconds with the big battle going on)
If you're anywhere near the battle(s) and can hear it, the game will pause for sound effects so you can make out their respective distance/type, since that information holds some tactical value. It wont lag if you're completely out of audible range (barely audible still counts :P)--combat actually takes far less processing than just units moving around.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon