Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 03:56:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #47 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Welding Warlock]  (Read 1495 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #47 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Welding Warlock]
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:01:52 AM »

This week's seed: Welding Warlock

Take part in the mysterious art of the weld.

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Welding Warlock] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #47 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Welding Warlock]
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »

Haha, I predicted where I was going to die, even while still in wonderful condition, and sure enough I died there:

I was going for a straight shot to the surface, and aside from getting side-tracked in the Lower Caves for a bit, everything was going pretty well... then I suddenly found myself in -4 surrounded by four garrisons in close proximity. I really should've retreated and found/made another route, but I was in a hurry and decided I'd just try to blast through whatever showed up. That worked for a while, but in that kind of situation, reinforcements were too quick to arrive and I was eventually overwhelmed. Really should've gone another way :P

That spot I was standing on turned into a massive battlefield and I lost all propulsion, which was the biggest problem since I didn't have spares. As usual I may have still survived even then had I jettisoned parts and retreated quickly, but I'm stubborn (stupid) like that and usually try to fight it out anyway...
Spoiler: Score: 9,796 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Xanthos

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »

Cornered on -6...things were going pretty swimmingly at the start - my 'peak' below but had another med. storage with more armor:

Peak State
------------
Power
  Light Angular Momentum Engine
  Cold Fusion Reactor
Propulsion
  Gravmag System
  Experimental Cesium-ion Thruster
  Nuclear Pulse Thruster
Utility
  Medium Storage Unit
  Weight Redist. System
  Hardened Medium Armor Plating
  Powered Armor
  Hacking Suite
  System Backup Module
Weapon
  Coil Gun
  Coil Gun
Inventory
  Long-range Sensor Array
  Hardened Medium Armor Plating
  Powered Armor
  Improved Force Field
  Makeshift Salvage Targeting Computer
  Makeshift Salvage Targeting Computer
  Remote Datajack
  Makeshift Sword

Had been up and down up to that point (used every form of propulsion but legs getting there) but couldn't quite find the flight units to move at speed.  While trying to grab the flight unit that would've put me under my weight limit (in a dead-end room, of course) I was shot down by a half-dozen solders and a pair of viruses. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:05:20 AM »

Welcome Xanthos! Things sure can fall apart quickly, and a big part of survival (really in almost any roguelike) is accumulating enough experience to predict situations like that before they occur, though of course there some you might lack the intel to fully analyze and end up fighting for your life :P

Xanthos

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »

Thanks - both for the welcome and the excellent game you're creating. 

After buying in mid-June, I'm at perhaps 30 educational runs (ended higher than -9 ), and still trying to find the 'right' way to upgrade for the first few levels.  I've usually favored propulsion, utility/propulsion, and power/utility for the first few levels (trying to fight my way up is clearly a Bad Idea as of right now).

Also still trying to figure out the intel situation.  I usually either a) don't find useful scanners or b) don't have enough utility slots when I do - storage, armor and hacking utilities all feel like higher priority to me for those slots, although perhaps my failure to make it higher than -4 should tell me otherwise.  This seed actually left me feeling more comfortable with the armor/utility situation than most have, I just wonder if I could've found some way to wear that lrn. sensor if I might not have died.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:05:08 AM by Xanthos »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »

I just wonder if I could've found some way to wear that lrn. sensor if I might not have died.
Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing while looking at your list :)

I often end up in a similar situation, favoring combat over intel, though still carrying around spare parts for the latter... It's usually better to go all in one way or another, and focus on your strengths. In your case you were half-combat, half-speed, and that's an especially challenging way to play.

Propulsion and Utility are the safest first evolutions, for sure. You can wait on Power for a while as long as you carry spares to slot them in immediately.