Grid Sage Forums

• May 17, 2024, 09:04:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #48 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Flying Lap]  (Read 1406 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #48 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Flying Lap]
« on: July 09, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »

This week's seed: Flying Lap

They'll never know what hit flew past 'em.

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Flying Lap] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #48 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Flying Lap]
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »

Been so busy with uni assignments that the date just flew by. Someone should've let me know!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »

I'll be back soon :). Wonder if I should try this one with an actual speed build...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 05:49:52 AM »

So yeah, the seed name once again had me starting out considering the possibility of a speed run, but the right parts seemed elusive (okay I didn't try very hard :P), and instead it ended up being a "real-time fast combat run" where I don't really think and just use whatever items are closest and take the first exits.

The first half of the game went really fast--the exits were practically jumping out at me. I had started out with a lot of propulsion slots in case I could start flying, but that didn't pan out and I ended up with legs most of the time. Legs and lots of heat sinks.

Then once I reached the upper Factory, the run started to slow significantly, like as much time in -5 as all depths before that, and a matching time at -4. It was obvious that I was getting into some dangerous situations that could easily end the run if I didn't at least watch where I was going :P

The -4 layout in this seed is especially tough, starting you out in a large dead-end region where the only way out (without tunneling) is a thoroughfare that passes right by two garrisons. I scouted the route with a bunch of drones.

...and expected things to get hairy. They did.

I managed to spear them all to death, rebuild from scratch, and jam both garrisons :)

While continuing the search for an exit, I still had to push through that thoroughfare, encountering multiple patrols at an intersection and thought I might be doomed:

But they all gathered close to the reactor and I hit it with my Fusion Cannon :D

Another stash of drones there on the floor confirmed the location of an exit around the corner, and I called a few of them over as I made my escape with lots more mad robots on my tail, and only 206 core remaining.

Unfortunately it didn't lead to Research (I really needed an evolution...); I was in no condition to start a branch run. Oh well, should've guessed that's where that particular exit would lead (high chance of a Sentry-guarded junction exit being connected to the caves).

With drone allies I survived a little longer than I otherwise would have, but this third patrol ate my lunch. I did spear a few of them to death first :)

Anyway, that's what I get for playing rather recklessly while still mega jet lagged and ready to fall asleep at any moment!

Spoiler: Score: 9,648 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon