Grid Sage Forums

• May 12, 2024, 01:52:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: How have I not noticed this game before?  (Read 1152 times)

Lord Thag

• Unaware
    • View Profile
How have I not noticed this game before?
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:02:31 AM »

So I stumbled across Cogmind via an XCOM related web search that pointed me at X@COM...

It took about five seconds of watching the video to buy it. I've spent the last couple of hours running around as a grenade addicted berzerk robot gleefully causing massive amounts of havok until ultimately exploding in a shower of much-abused parts.

Summon a squad of sentry robots at ME, will you? Hah! I mock you console! Have a grenade sandwich! Also, lets blow up that wall. And that green guy. Die green guy, mining lasers are for chumps. And your four buddies. And... oh. Aha. Blast radius. Err.... We will just call that a 'strategic redeployment' and go find another grenade launcher.

I've been a DCSS / Angband / Roguelike player for years, and this is the most original and fresh roguelike I've played since DCSS or Brogue.

Seriously, mad props here. Cogmind is pretty original, has the best interface I've seen in a roguelike since, well, ever and it's about a million times better than the 1500 'rogue-lite' wanna be games on Steam. I can already tell there is a lot of strategy involved in part choice, engaging or avoiding combat, hacking etc.

This just might end up on my best games list as development keeps adding features.

I know I should be trying to be all tactical and stuff... but I will probably just find more explosives and blow up an entire level again. It's just so... satisfying.

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
Re: How have I not noticed this game before?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »

I know I should be trying to be all tactical and stuff... but I will probably just find more explosives and blow up an entire level again. It's just so... satisfying.

I am Decker and I approve this message! For extra credit, try it on Access!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: How have I not noticed this game before?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:12:43 PM »

Welcome, and better late than never! There will always be new players to reach, even long-time roguelike fans apparently :)

Explosions are certainly addictive, something you'll get to experience later with deadlier things than grenade launchers. But even fooling around with explosives in the early game has a nice feel to it because everything is so crunchy at that point :P

Looking forward to what you think as you get further into the world!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon