Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 05:12:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Files saved in REXPaint are blank  (Read 1802 times)

teksts

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Files saved in REXPaint are blank
« on: October 08, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »

Hi all! I'm quite new to REXPaint, so I'm not sure if there's some crucial setup step that I'm missing, but I've been having issues saving my art. When I finish something and save it, everything seems to work properly -- but when I open the file from the images folder, REXPaint opens blank. Anybody have any idea why this would be happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Files saved in REXPaint are blank
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »

Hi teksts, my first thought on reading this is that it sounds like your current OS settings are not allowing REXPaint to actually write to the disk? (As the included readme states, REXPaint must have write access to its own directory, otherwise it cannot save files or settings.) This can happen for a number of reasons depending on your system.

That said, your description here isn't entirely clear so I can't be sure of the steps you're taking to get this result. Like "when I open the file from the images folder" is not even something REXPaint is capable of (opening an image by using your system's file browser will not work).

Unless you mean something more along the lines of you 1) save an image, 2) exit REXPaint, 3) there is no image in REXPaint's /images/ directory, or available in REXPaint when you start it up again. That would be a description for the case I was describing, being unable to write to disk, which is the most likely cause here.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

teksts

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 04:43:17 PM »

I think you might be right, maybe I'm just misunderstanding the program. When I save art in REXPaint, I end up with .xp files in the image folder. If I want to open these files in REXPAINT later to view the art or continue editing it, how would I do that?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 05:16:11 PM »

Hm, well you shouldn't have to do anything at all in that case! If you've saved .xp files and those appear in your images folder, they'll simply be automatically loaded up in REXPaint every time you start up and be there in the browser for you to select and edit again.

I'm still not quite clear on what's happening here xD

You know how to use the BROWSE menu, right? REXPaint always starts up with a blank canvas, and to view and edit loaded images you need to press Tab or click on the button at the top left that says BROWSE.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon