Grid Sage Forums

• May 13, 2024, 05:48:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Sometimes newly seen items are given two labels  (Read 1288 times)

bluemoo

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Sometimes newly seen items are given two labels
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:29:42 AM »

This is very minor, and I'm pretty new to Cogmind, so there may be something else going on here. When one discovers new items, a name label is displayed next to them for a short period of time.

The bug: Ocassionally, a single item is given two labels - one on each side of it.

Expected behavior: I would expect that an item laying on the ground by itself would only ever be shown with a single name label.

Adraius

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes newly seen items are given two labels
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 05:30:50 PM »

What you might be experiencing is a second label being created by your mouse cursor being positioned over the item as the upon-discovery labels are appearing - this happens to me sometimes as my automatic reflex is to mouse over any new items that I see.

In fact, minor request if it doesn't take much effort: can mousing over an item already labeled not create a second label?  It often gets in the way of ones I actually want to see, and seems to happen to me a good bit when finding large caches.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've gotten rid of the cases where this can happen automatically (that used to happen in the earliest version under special conditions), so I suspected Adraius might be on to something with the second labeling and tested it.

It was pretty tough to repeat (for me), but you can get a double label if you manage to mouse over an object within the 1.5 seconds before it gets its own autolabel (but not the reverse, i.e. mousing over an object that already has an autolabel will not create a new one manually). I should be able to prevent this pretty easily, thanks.

Is that what happened, bluemoo?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

bluemoo

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »

I do play with the mouse so its a good theory. I'll pay attention to my mouse location if I see it again and re-report if thats not it. Thanks!