Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 08:36:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [beta 9.2] Last target remembers ally when using keyboard  (Read 989 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[beta 9.2] Last target remembers ally when using keyboard
« on: December 01, 2019, 04:16:58 AM »

I am using a combo melee/remote datajack build. When I hack an enemy to assimilate them, then press 'f' to attack the remaining enemy next to me I did not expect to immediately destroy my new friend with a melee attack. I'd suggest friends should never be remembered as the previous firing target, or at least not if their faction just changed.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [beta 9.2] Last target remembers ally when using keyboard
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »

Hm, I'd have to see a specific example of where this is the case, since as of many versions ago that's already how it works. A previous target that changed factions is no longer targeted automatically. From what I can see, the only reason that could happen is if you targeted a space rather than the bot, in which case it will always re-target the same space regardless of who the occupant is at the time. But I just tried the exact situation you describe and it correctly switched to the non-allied target.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »

It happened to me several times in the current run (though I caught it the other times). I use the vi-keys to move the targeting to the robot I want to hit instead of tabbing to it, does that count as targeting a space? Sequence was, from memory:

• activate remote datajack
  • press f for targeting
  • use vi-keys to move cursor to swarmer diagonally adjacent
  • f to fire, formatsys hack
  • f to target, f to fire again to wake it up (perhaps this already counts as the new faction even though it's rebooting here? this could be why it's behaving as it is and I guess it's arguably my own fault)
  • activate melee weapon to attack the other adjacent swarmer
  • f to target, f to fire selects the previous swarmer that's now allied

Code: [Select]
s #  <-- this one is the one I assimilated and then destroyed
#@#
#s#

Actually, I am not sure whether I fired the datajack again to wake the assimilated one up, or decided to just wait and attack the other one with melee.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:47:52 PM by Joshua »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »

Actually, I am not sure whether I fired the datajack again to wake the assimilated one up, or decided to just wait and attack the other one with melee.
Yep, that would likely be the key right there, easy to reproduce in that case because this is intended behavior. Once you've shot at your new ally to reboot them instantly, the "previous target" faction is recorded as your own, so even if you switch weapons that's who it's going to target next.

So it's not a bug, but we could perhaps make a special exception/rule in this case. I know this has definitely happened to me before, too, and if you're shooting a datajack to reboot an ally it's highly unlikely you're intended to shoot them again afterward. Instead we can have it just clear the previous target entirely.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon