Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 02:05:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [beta 9.2] Revealed hidden doors not always saved in map memory  (Read 1930 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[beta 9.2] Revealed hidden doors not always saved in map memory
« on: November 24, 2019, 06:38:28 AM »

This one's a bit odd. I clearly traveled down the hallway in the screenshot to see the contents of each room and I remember the Structural Interface ability revealing the hidden doors at the end of each of the three alcoves, but on reloading from a saved game not all of them are visible. I am not sure how this happened or how to reproduce because I only noticed it when traveling back up and the hidden door appeared again in what appears to be a solid wall in the map memory. I can provide previous autosaves too if that helps.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [beta 9.2] Revealed hidden doors not always saved in map memory
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »

Hm, yeah that's weird. Autosaves wouldn't help here because it's not about state--we can already clearly see the saved state on the map there, it's about whatever caused it in the first place.

All the map memory does is keep a copy of whatever objects you last saw at that location, and it looks like you even went down each corridor a bit towards the door so it's not like it didn't have time to save/update this info in any way. And clearly you weren't using your Lrn.Terrain Scanner, so that couldn't have played a role...

No idea how to repeat this, and it hasn't come up before... I'm out of ideas, guess we just have to wait and see if and when this happens again.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »

This seems to happen about half the time when you step back out of line of sight of a phase wall while the "Phase Wall" highlight animation is still playing. You can see the wall go back to red in the map memory at that point.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »

Ooh more info that might help track this down :)

"Phase Wall" highlight animation
By this do you mean the label?

Also in the example you gave at the beginning that was hidden doors, not phase walls--are the latter doing this too and you've seen examples of it?

Joshua

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »

Yes, the label. Phase walls are definitely doing this too and I have been seeing it in my current game. I forgot that I originally reported doors - not sure whether I've noticed that recently or not.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »

Okay, thanks, I can probably track this down now I think I may know why it can happen under these circumstances.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 02:22:27 AM »

Yep, discovered the cause for this and that it actually applies to hidden doors, phase walls, and even traps! It's just not necessarily that easy to notice in a regular run since this only happens if you make a discovery and your next action is to move back out of view again, since these informational updates were happening after your map memory was updated. Oops :P

Interesting that this has been in there since the very first version and none of the other observant and frequent players pointed this one out!