Grid Sage Forums

• May 21, 2024, 05:42:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Cogmind - The whistling Assassin  (Read 1273 times)

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Cogmind - The whistling Assassin
« on: November 14, 2015, 04:30:45 AM »

I have a little Idea for more stealth-action.
how about a whistling or an peep-signal what cogmind can spread out ?
example: enter a room, sentry did not see you, you hide behind a reactor or so and then
spread out this peep-signal to lure the sentry to the hide-out...all without shooting.
or for a whistling by the way, just for fun...

but not for free, this peep-signal comes from a short-circuit triggered by cogmind himself,
so it cost of course energy (20-30).

...just a suggestion

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Cogmind - The whistling Assassin
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 05:10:21 AM »

Sound influencing other robots has been suggested, or at least inquired about, before, though unless it was made a core mechanic (which would in turn negatively affect a number of other features and aspects of balance, I believe), it wouldn't be meaningful enough.

What you say here is much more specific than "robots hearing things," which is good because it's more controllable and would have a purpose, though I don't really see a great use for this which isn't already partially covered by something else.

You can take a pot shot with a single fast weapon to get their attention then retreat, or just let them see you then duck back, or let a nearby Watcher see you and report your location, or fire at a non-hostile robot so they call for help,
or use guided weapons to hit them from around a corner, or even catch them in the radius of an explosion while you yourself are out of sight so they come investigate. I'm sure there are more I've forgotten here. Most do require shooting of some sort, except for just being seen. There's... intentionally stepping on an alarm trap :D

Ambushing robots is also already too powerful, and this would only exacerbate that. (I've considered making them smart enough to avoid some ambushes, but decided against it for now. It's fun as is--maybe that would be for certain smarter hostiles later on.)

(Also, that kind of energy cost is meaningless if you're lying in wait, anyway.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind - The whistling Assassin
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »

I'm convinced that cogmind don't need that.

...but to have this option would be very cool
   because it was the case that i seriously had needed such an option.
   (ok one time in over 300 plays and i found another solution but it was the case)

anyway, cogmind is awesome without this and it was only a suggestion
   maybe i just only want to ring cogminds bell :D