Grid Sage Forums

• May 16, 2024, 09:20:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Manual hack description + filtered from buffer function of type of terminal  (Read 1137 times)

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile

Hi there, back to business, things seem to go very well for Cogmind (and I finally got a victory ! and currently diving into all the lore/branches/factions, it is so wonderful)

I was wondering : the right click / Shift + a~z hack command description is neat

https://i.imgur.com/oFmRUeO.gif

But would it be possible to have the same for manual commands once typed in the console but before entering it for good. Might be tricky I guess. But when I come back six months later I may not remember correctly what this nice looking command could trigger.

Related demand : would it be possible to add something in the buffer.txt (a key letter of some sort in the syntax, S for Scanalyzer, F for Fabricator and so on) to filter what the buffer will propose to the player. Then when typing Trojan( , the buffer would propose only the Trojan commands available, if I am on a Terminal or a Garrison access.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Hi Gobbopathe, welcome back, things have indeed been going well in the meantime, lots of extra QoL and fun new mechanics and content :)

But would it be possible to have the same for manual commands once typed in the console but before entering it for good. Might be tricky I guess. But when I come back six months later I may not remember correctly what this nice looking command could trigger.
I've considered this before, many times (if I'm understanding you correctly). It's the kind of thing I might do one day, but haven't had a good enough impetus yet compared to the amount of work it would be.

There is currently feature voting in progress on Patreon, and one of the leading features is an upgrade for the manual hacking UI, so if that one wins, then maybe I could include this under that umbrella, if there's time... It'd be an appropriate opportunity, in any case.

Related demand : would it be possible to add something in the buffer.txt (a key letter of some sort in the syntax, S for Scanalyzer, F for Fabricator and so on) to filter what the buffer will propose to the player. Then when typing Trojan( , the buffer would propose only the Trojan commands available, if I am on a Terminal or a Garrison access.
This one I don't think so, though. You can already get context-sensitive hack selection via typing, e.g. "Tro" just to get the Trojans applicable at the current machine type, or other machine-relevant hacks. The buffer is different in that it's mainly for repeating the same manual hack that was carried out on the same or a very recent machine, not to serve as a long-term list of hacks to choose from.

Where are you coming from on this one? Does this by any chance have to do with your use of an AZERTY keyboard?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile

Ok, I got all my answers, thanks. After some tests, I agree with you about buffer.txt : I did not notice until then I can already get context-sensitive hack selection

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Oh okay, you hadn't noticed that--this may have actually been added since you last played! I don't quite recall how long ago that was, or when it was implemented, but yeah it's definitely become very useful and taken over the functionality that the buffer (an easier solution so the first to be implemented) used to serve.

Good old manual hacking autocomplete!

Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile

So cool indeed, and that let me hack to the next level !