Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 12:32:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Alpha 1] Cogmind can get stuck inside walls  (Read 1455 times)

AGlassOfMilk

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
[Alpha 1] Cogmind can get stuck inside walls
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:59:40 AM »

Just lost a game to this :(

I was traveling down a hallway when enemy robots started moving in from both ends. I had already lost all my equipment so my only attack was to ram other robots.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I started at point 1, I then rammed a robot at point 2 thinking that it was a side hallway.
At this point I either waited for a turn or moved up, either way I then got pushed up and got stuck in the wall.

Once that happened the only options I had were to wait a turn and take damage or move up and take damage.

This picture shows where cogmind was stuck
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A copy of the save is attached

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Alpha 1] Cogmind can get stuck inside walls
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 04:00:33 AM »

Thank you for the excellent description, AGlassOfMilk. I'm fairly certain this is the same issue reported by another player who managed to ram themselves all the way outside their FOV.

Ramming and displacement does not update your FOV, an oversight that is getting players who do a lot of ramming in tunnels stuck in places where the game no longer lets you move since you aren't allowed to move through non-visible spaces! So I believe you're stuck in the tunnel here, not a wall, and there's no way to get around that :(

For the next release I'll be both updating FOV on ramming/displacement and adding a failsafe so that just in case I miss something in the code, the game will always make sure you can see yourself and if not update FOV immediately!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Draxis

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Also known as Dessard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 07:47:11 AM »

I haven't reproduced it, but I think that ramming or jumping onto level stairs also doesn't trigger the level end.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 08:29:55 AM »

That's a good point, and it almost certainly doesn't. Technically in the options you can deactivate auto-ascension and ascend manually via the '<' key. Though that isn't so helpful for mouse users.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon