Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 11:35:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Wait, inventory items aren't counted for movement mass? WHAT?  (Read 1067 times)

Star Weaver

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
Wait, inventory items aren't counted for movement mass? WHAT?
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:21:04 PM »

So the reason everyone's staking storage units so hard is (in part) because your reserve items don't slow you down? I had thought these slowx30 move time 2700 bots were so slow BECAUSE of the massive stash. I guess it's just from the units you need to attach to carry that much in the first place?

I really actually thought things were happening otherwise until I double checked it. I only found this out because I happened to be reading through all the stuff in the S menu and its help popups while having a food, and happened to notice it.

I'm guessing this is by design so that people don't (well, we can't with scavengers) feel a need to build up pile on the map and spend time running back and forth to them?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Wait, inventory items aren't counted for movement mass? WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:31:07 PM »

It keeps all the systems much simpler to deal with by forgoing inventory mass, and yes, instead represent that via the mass of the containers themselves. Notice that Storage Units are some of the heaviest parts in the game.

Worrying about the mass of individual inventory items on top of everything else would be quite annoying, and doesn't fit with my design philosophy that we should do away with tedium everywhere possible (which is almost everywhere, though still more improvements are coming in this area because I know there are a couple ever so slightly tedious aspects, especially in the late game).

Also note that no one in their right mind is walking around with 2700-time steps. When you see screenshots like that it's because their movement has been disabled during the current firefight without backups and it would be a really bad idea to even try to move :). (On a related note, there will soon be a feature whereby you can simultaneously detach all parts and run, if it comes to that.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Star Weaver

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, inventory items aren't counted for movement mass? WHAT?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 01:10:19 AM »

Sounds great. I had some things to say but can't get my brain straight enough tonight, sadly.