Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 11:57:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Terminal/machine info quality of life  (Read 1393 times)

Pig

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Terminal/machine info quality of life
« on: June 18, 2021, 12:59:37 PM »

Hello!

While playing stealth and attempting to squeeze value out of terminals, I've found that I need to take notes to remember the security levels, detection chance, and trace progress of the terminals I've visited in order to plan routes effectively.

Things would be a lot easier if there was an option for a HUD overlay that displayed this information on the map for each terminal. I don't think this would effect the balance of the game in any way, but I think it would encourage more strategic use of terminals.

Maybe this could apply to other machines as well?

Maybe this could be a toggle-able overlay like the ones for allies/parts/enemies/exits? or just a checkbox in the options menu.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Terminal/machine info quality of life
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 06:58:06 PM »

Hey there, sorry for the very late reply, for some reason I didn't receive an email notification about this post...

I've thought about this before, but decided it's mainly going to add more unnecessary clutter because the current idea is that "bigger terminal = higher security level and corresponding detection chance," so you can differentiate them visibly. Maybe you hadn't noticed that it's not random at all--there are a static handful of terminal types and all those that look the same share the exact same stats which follow that general rule of progression, making it pretty easy to have a good idea of whether or not you're equipped to deal with a given terminal.

This is why, for example, if I'm a combat build without any hackware I'll almost certainly ignore the really big terminals unless I happen to be passing right next to it and maybe can hope for a 5-10% direct hack to throw a couple of attempts at.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon