Grid Sage Forums

• May 11, 2024, 10:23:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: When in Look mode, weapon target %s stay stuck after adjusting scan target  (Read 1329 times)

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile

Another minor thing, more a polish issue than a bug.

When in Look mode, if one selects/passes over a bot, the scan-box and one's equipped weapons show hit info; if one then selects and gets info on a non-bot item, the scan-box updates, but one's weapons stay stuck with the hit info until leaving Look mode.

Just hides one's weapon info for comparing, and makes it seems like something is targeted to fire when nothing is.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: When in Look mode, weapon target %s stay stuck after adjusting scan target
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 12:57:00 AM »

This is intentional--both the scan window and weapon accuracy values retain the last applicable values for whatever you've most recently pointed at, for continued reference. This has advantages over having them disappear immediately as soon as you're not pointing at anything.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:07:54 AM »

both the scan window and weapon accuracy values retain the last applicable values for whatever you've most recently pointed at

If they both had this same behavior they would never be showing info for different things, right?  Currently, scan window updates to whatever you've most recently pointed at, weapons stay showing hit % for last bot, even if one then goes and selects a terminal or something and that is in the scan window.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:33:33 AM »

Per-weapon accuracy breakdowns are only shown for robot targets though, not terminals.

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:37:40 AM »

Yes, so because of that behavior, the per weapon accuracy section is often providing information about something other than what's in the scan window.  It seems like having the scan window and weapons section always reference the same thing would make a lot more sense.

Additionally, showing the per weapon target info in this case covers up useful game info, making it annoying to use Look mode to check weapons on the ground against equipped, since equipped weapon info becomes hidden and can't be shown again without exiting and re-entering Look-mode.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:00:52 PM by Trione »

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 02:39:37 PM »

Perhaps at the very least if one is getting info on a weapon/item, switch one's held-weapon display back to default info, for comparison, while the info window is open?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:10:48 PM by Trione »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 06:28:15 PM »

Leaving the info might seem confusing at first before you've realized that's what it's doing, but it's quite useful for a number of accessibility reasons. For example when moving the cursor around quickly and don't necessarily want to stop on a given cell, but can roll over it instead on the way to another target. Having it disappear unless you are currently on top of what you want to target is a very slow way to play, and you'll find yourself having to recenter over previous targets more often to make comparisons.

(Similarly the Scan window leaves old information until something applicable replaces that as well.)

I could look into adding an advanced option you can use to turn off this behavior and have it automatically disappear if you like, but you'll probably find that doing it that way has a lot of drawbacks, too.

Additionally, showing the per weapon target info in this case covers up useful game info, making it annoying to use Look mode to check weapons on the ground against equipped, since equipped weapon info becomes hidden and can't be shown again without exiting and re-entering Look-mode.
In this particular case I think a better approach would be to simply remove weapon targeting info while in look mode, and only show that while in the actual dedicated targeting mode. Are you using the mouse?

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:12:44 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate the more detailed explanation.

In this particular case I think a better approach would be to simply remove weapon targeting info while in look mode, and only show that while in the actual dedicated targeting mode. Are you using the mouse?

Yeah, I like the idea of this kind of implementation, since the dedicated fire/targeting mode already exists.  It does still seems like having the targeting info when actually on a bot would be good, though.

And no, I've been going all keyboard since I've mostly gotten the hang of the controls.  Has happened frequently that I see a weapon, go into look-mode and move the 'cursor' straight there to pull up info on the weapon, then realize I moved over a bot on the way, and now can't compare the weapon to what I have equipped at a glance.  That behavior is what actually spurred me to bring this up.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 01:14:24 PM by Trione »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 04:53:20 PM »

That behavior is what actually spurred me to bring this up.
Yeah I can see that. The retention of old information is a little less useful for keyboard players because there's one mouse case you don't have to worry about: overshooting the target object with the cursor. Some players might do this but if the data is retained it doesn't do that annoying "blip out of existence until you put the cursor exactly back in the right target cell" thing.

Note that if you need to compare to another weapon without exiting the mode, you can still use shift-letter to open the window for that attached part and get all details. (Though directly comparing the data strips to the scan window contents might be a simpler way to do it, which is what you're wanting.)

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »

Yep, on the same page.  The data strips are great once I've gotten used to switching them around for all the info  :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »

Just dropping a note to say that retention of 'q' mode info (etc) will be a thing in Beta 8, which distinguishes between simply targeting and examining for that purposes.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »

Ah, and we'll have two new options, for disabling persistent accuracy info and/or persistent scan window info if you like.

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 04:05:19 AM »

... Superbattery?  :o

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 04:17:53 AM »

Sheesh, the things these bots leave lying around...