Grid Sage Forums

• May 14, 2024, 03:47:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Running + Auto Ascend Stairs Behavior  (Read 1324 times)

MJWkr

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Running + Auto Ascend Stairs Behavior
« on: December 25, 2015, 12:29:17 AM »

Hi,

I play with the auto-ascend stairs option turned on.  I also use the 'run' feature a lot.  It happens that if running into a stair, auto-ascend automatically occurs, which is logical ... However, what do you think making it so a running Cogmind auto-stops running before stepping onto a stair? 

Tonight, Cogmind went down a mine before I could tell it to stop. :)

-MJWkr-

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Running + Auto Ascend Stairs Behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 12:31:49 AM »

I ran into this problem too. It's not a big deal but it would be nice if it stopped before the stairs :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 12:42:46 AM »

Hahaha, went into the mines, now there's a potential wrong turn ;). I'll add that behavior for the next release, yep. In general keyboard running auto-stops are still a new feature that needs (and will get) more improvements.

In Alpha 5 I fixed it so that mouse pathing with auto-ascend on won't go up stairs accidentally, but didn't consider running into stairs yet. Thanks!

And for anyone who doesn't use auto-ascend (I normally don't), I heard a funny story last week about someone who had it disabled and stepped on the stairs with < 10 integrity while running from Swarmers, and they killed him before his next turn came around. He technically would've made it if that feature was active, since it takes you through immediately...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 12:44:52 AM »

And for anyone who doesn't use auto-ascend (I normally don't), I heard a funny story last week about someone who had it disabled and stepped on the stairs with < 10 integrity while running from Swarmers, and they killed him before his next turn came around. He technically would've made it if that feature was active, since it takes you through immediately...

Oooh. That's bad! Auto-ascend disabled gimps you!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 12:47:17 AM »

True, though generally not too common a scenario, and there is no good solution other than forcing auto-ascend to wait until your next turn, which would feel unfair. So that's one reason to keep it active but be careful moving around stairs (and of course I'm improving its behavior as necessary).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon