• May 14, 2024, 12:46:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Comparison View - a second data window  (Read 9225 times)

CormacMccarthy91

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison View - a second data window
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »

Soo, I may be missing something here, but is there NO way to compare items if I only use keyboard?

I've been trying for a while now, and if i select an item on the ground, then exit the window and select another item they are not compared...
“Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.”
-Judge

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »

Soo, I may be missing something here, but is there NO way to compare items if I only use keyboard?

I've been trying for a while now, and if i select an item on the ground, then exit the window and select another item they are not compared...

Don't close the first window, just immediately hit Shift + the next item's key to compare.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 08:07:48 PM »

He's referring to comparing ground items purely via keyboard.

The comparison window only opens when you directly select a new item while the info for one is already showing, and it's currently impossible to access the keyboard look mode while an info window is open.

You can compare ground items via mouse, though even that is an imperfect system because you can only do this for items not covered by the existing info window.

I considered trying to enable keyboard look mode while an info window is open, but it's fraught with issues--not pretty. An alternative approach that would help both modes would be to always compare the current item to whatever was opened previously (even if the window was closed), though there are multiple issues with that: it looks bad and distracting when your purpose is not to compare items, you could more easily forget what the previous item was (adding its name would make the UI more confusing), and internally there are some logic issues regarding how to deal with items that no longer exist, or should no longer be known (but giving information )

Hm, after writing all that I suppose all the above issues could be fixed by always comparing so long as the previous item info was opened in the same turn. (I can still think of a condition under which it could be a source of confusion, so I might have to make that an optional feature, if added.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon
Pages: 1 [2]