Grid Sage Forums

• May 10, 2024, 09:20:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Failed Machine Scan Didn't Disable Item Properly  (Read 2410 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Failed Machine Scan Didn't Disable Item Properly
« on: September 20, 2015, 07:36:05 PM »

On one of my earlier winning runs I tried to use a Scanalyser machine (there is a small chance it was actually a Repair machine) to scan my Adv. Sensor Array, which was almost destroyed. It failed to scan, and the failure message said that the item was disabled. However, it remained in perfect working order. I walked off after that, counting myself lucky.

Version Alpha 3C

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Failed Machine Scan Didn't Disable Item Properly
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 08:06:19 PM »

Thanks, I'll check it out. A glance at the code shows that in either case, disabling should work as normal against all but parts that do not require activation (which Adv. Sensor Arrays are not).

Have you (or anyone else, for that matter) had other parts disabled before?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »

Thanks, I'll check it out. A glance at the code shows that in either case, disabling should work as normal against all but parts that do not require activation (which Adv. Sensor Arrays are not).

Have you (or anyone else, for that matter) had other parts disabled before?

I think I've had a part get disabled before. I think it was while trying to repair (second stage) an item. I've never had an item disabled message when simply scanning the item (first stage) until this time.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I was looking at the second stage only (which appears to be working normally). But with this new information... based on the code it's not even possible for a part to be disabled during the first scan (that's not a thing), or get a disabled message. The only possibility for disabling comes at the time of repair. There must be some other factor involved here? Will have to wait for a more confirmation.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 08:23:36 PM »

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I was looking at the second stage only (which appears to be working normally). But with this new information... based on the code it's not even possible for a part to be disabled during the first scan (that's not a thing), or get a disabled message. The only possibility for disabling comes at the time of repair. There must be some other factor involved here? Will have to wait for a more confirmation.

I am 100% sure that it said the part was disabled. Maybe I am mixed up and it was the second stage, but in either case the part wasn't disabled. I wish I took a screenshot.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »

It would have to be second/final stage, since that's the only time a disabled effect is applied during hacking.

Also, are you sure it was still working properly? Some special circumstances may have caused a disconnect between the item's actual state and how it was displayed in your UI (though I think it unlikely due to how that state is calculated for display). Hm...

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 08:38:42 PM »

It would have to be second/final stage, since that's the only time a disabled effect is applied during hacking.

Also, are you sure it was still working properly? Some special circumstances may have caused a disconnect between the item's actual state and how it was displayed in your UI (though I think it unlikely due to how that state is calculated for display). Hm...

It was definitely working properly since it was a sensor array, which I was relying on quite heavily as it was a stealth run. There was no indication on the UI that it was disabled.

Draco18s

• Cyborg
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »

Ok, had something like this happen to me:

That engine is absolutely disabled.  Except that it's both active and giving me power.  When I disabled it to turn it off to verify that it was still giving me power, then its status changed to non-functional.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 09:03:03 PM »

That's very interesting, but not actually the same as what happened to me, because mine didn't even go red to signify that it was disabled.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 09:25:39 PM »

Ok, had something like this happen to me:

I think I've encountered this before, but couldn't repeat it. So by posting in this thread I assume the cause in your case was a scan fail deactivation?

(Also, is there a way to see that image at full size? It's just a fuzzy little thumbnail for me. Not that it's super important since I know what you mean.)

Draco18s

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »

It should be at full size, but if the forum is downsizing it (or your browser) try viewing it direct: http://s3.postimg.org/cifc0llj7/active.png

And it was a repair machine.  I was looking to get its integrity back up.  Scanning it failed and disabled it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 11:27:09 PM »

Thanks for the extra details.

I did view it directly at the link, and still see it at the same size there which is why I asked :/. As a direct PNG link the forum won't downsize it; and the original image looks the same in all four of my browsers... (Also, I recall you've previously posted a different image from the same site and the result was the same--a thumbnail without detail.)

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 01:13:19 AM »

That image is 771x670, so it really shouldn't be thumbnail size (unless you have an insane monitor resolution?). Try resetting the zoom level of the browser or even just saving the image to your desktop and viewing it there.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 01:23:55 AM »

Interesting. I was wondering if someone else saw it differently. For me it shows as 180x156, both in my browser(s) and when downloaded. Nothing I can do changes that--zooming just upscales the pixelated thumbnail. I wonder why I can't view it normally...

Draco18s

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 09:23:08 PM »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind