Grid Sage Forums

• May 06, 2024, 12:29:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Piezoelectric cooling  (Read 800 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Piezoelectric cooling
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »

Currently there are items that cool a fixed amount for fixed energy, and ones that cool in exchange for item integrity. It might be cool to have something like piezoelectric cooling: cooling in exchange for variable energy. It could be extremely powerful in exchange for tons of energy going to keep it running.

Also, it could be overloadable to control the energy use. Normal gets you heat sink levels of cooling, overloaded gives you ten times that for maybe 20x the energy use.

Just an idea brought to you partly by the thought that one sees very few runs with 4+ power slots. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:50:54 PM by Joshua »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Piezoelectric cooling
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »

Yeah it's hard to justify builds with that many power slots since you can also use utilities to more efficiently boost your existing power supply (once you have 2-3 power sources) and you get the, you know, attachments :)

Even if you want to run shields, or presumably high-cost cooling, technically utilities can help there by giving you large energy reserves that'll last through combat. So... design-wise it's hard to require lots of power slots :P (it's mainly a question of 1~3; I don't think we need to really design for making 4+ seriously feasible)

More to your original idea, I'm not sure we really have room for more cooling, if only because these additional parts would take up an even larger percentage of the utilities out there than they already do. Unless there's not a whole line of them, but just like one or two, perhaps rare, even.

More on the strategic side of things, I'm not sure if this really adds much compared to the Coolant Injectors we have, since they can already quite effectively deal with very high heat scenarios at little cost.

Anyway, if anything it's certainly an idea to add to the list of potential rare/unique items!

Question: Would anyone else use something like this?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:38:15 AM »

Now that you can't stack QC and weapon cyclers to fire end-game weapons at ridiculously high rates, there may be less need to keep up with energy and heat requirements this high. :)  I thought it might be an interesting device to make melty / high thermal builds more plausible before you've otherwise found enough cooling (eg coolant injectors are not nearly as common as heat sinks, at least in the games I've played), and add a new tactical combination since right now all cooling tends to have very low energy requirements (which gives it synergy with thermal weapons). Right now you have to manage high energy and heat requirements to use them -- I thought it might be interesting to get rid of heat problems in exchange for very high energy requirements instead.

Like you said, it is just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:05:23 AM »

Ah well I have Coolant Injectors in pretty much every combat run I do, just finding them lying around (and if not Behemoths have them). They're pretty indispensable when it comes to managing big thermal cannons, that's for sure.

I can at least see some special cooling item, though strategically speaking, personally I know I'd pretty much always rather have a good injector. That's why I was curious if anyone else might see decent use for this in a build.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon