Grid Sage Forums

• April 26, 2024, 03:33:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Immersive evolution mechanics?  (Read 817 times)

Otakutaru

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Immersive evolution mechanics?
« on: October 23, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »

As the title implies, I just though that the current evolution mechanic is a bit lacking, regarding the vague "once every main floor" rule. Wouldn't be much more immersive and coherent to find them in some predefined location every main floor, as it is for everything else? You find something, compare it, equip it or not. I see this improved mechanic working something like this:

Instead of just getting an upgrade when you complete the floor, you search for a special terminal near the exit that you can easily hack and get some software/hardware payloads delivered to you. Some nice "bip bip bop bop, brrrrrr, cling clang (you get the point)" fx plays, coupled with some of our beloved ASCII animations like the initial HUD initialization or something like that, and BAM! You end up with the same core mechanic of getting regular evolutions, but contextualized, which helps with the immersion and satisfaction factors.

As for the terminal/payload thing, it's just a placeholder for some other creative way of getting the upgrade. The ASCII animation and FX seems pretty nice personally, and I think in conjuntion with a "physical" representation in-game would be a solid not-ground-breaking addition to the game.

So what do you think? Would this be realizable?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Immersive evolution mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »

Technically it's certainly realizable, but if we're talking about immersion, there are already lore reasons for things happening the way they do.

It's not arbitrary.

Spoiler: really, a spoiler! (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Otakutaru

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »

Ok, I won't go too much deeper. Just wanted to say what I already said. If there's already an explanation of why do you evolve the way you do, that's enough immersion, at least on the lore side. Thanks for the quick response, and keep it up! The game is awesome.

PS: Add more ASCII everywhere!!!11!!1!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »

Hehe, you will find lots of interesting ASCII stuff hidden in there, too ;)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon