Grid Sage Forums

• April 25, 2024, 06:27:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: new things for robot efficiency  (Read 1060 times)

seanawesomness

• Derelict
    • View Profile
new things for robot efficiency
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:05 PM »

carrier ideas:
carriers can carry combat units, but what if you could hack them so that you can assimilate what is inside
maybe have them be able to put itself back together so it can be reused
have a machine which gives you the ability to fold(or maybe have that with the RIF) so you can go inside
hauler ideas:
have them restock storage
repair station: if a robot has a specific part damaged, after a battle they can repair it via repair station
operators: able to unlock terminals after threat is passed
thugs: pick up stuff
communications:
have communication units for transmissions, and if Cogmind picks one up he can attempt to give orders to allies

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: new things for robot efficiency
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:38:54 AM »

carrier ideas:
carriers can carry combat units, but what if you could hack them so that you can assimilate what is inside
This is way too powerful and intentionally avoided :)

hauler ideas:
have them restock storage
Not sure what "storage" means here, but Haulers do as much as they're intended to at the moment. They have a number of tasks already, giving them a way to bring yet more things into a map would be too good.

repair station: if a robot has a specific part damaged, after a battle they can repair it via repair station
That's what Mechanics are for, who operate out of Repair Stations. The purpose of Repair Stations is mainly to restock Mechanic inventories.

operators: able to unlock terminals after threat is passed
Too powerful, Terminals are intentionally left locked until the map is cleared.

thugs: pick up stuff
There isn't too much need to have most robots collect parts, not unless it's turned into a wider system (which it likely won't be).

communications:
have communication units for transmissions, and if Cogmind picks one up he can attempt to give orders to allies
Uncontrollable allies being fully autonomous is the Derelict way :P (Only directly controlled mindless allies can be issued commands.)

Balance demands it, too. Cogmind isn't an RTS, and micromanaging allies is frowned upon in the design. Even drones need to be reworked to try to get rid of that aspect of them.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

seanawesomness

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 02:57:30 PM »

makes sense now

seanawesomness

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »

well can thugs be a little bit more smart? even cowardly? and shouldn't robots like compactors and hunters, who are aggressive in combat be able to kick and crush instead of running away, (also you never answered my question about carriers putting themselves back together)

yeah I have lots of questions.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 05:44:38 AM »

Well AI is intentionally not too smart in general. It becomes overly complicated, and also then becomes inconsistent when you have one particular AI have X number of effective behaviors--players begin to expect that all or many AIs are similarly deep, when that's not the case and it's not really necessary.

But RE ARCs I can't answer every single little question when you come up with an extensive list of ideas. There are already more ideas than can ever be implemented on my TODO list (despite the game being practically 1.0), so the only ideas that tend to still make it in anyway are areas of widely applicable QoL, or those brought up by players who've already seen a lot of the content and understand how new things might fit in across the game.

There is a huge amount of content you've yet to see! Keep exploring!

seanawesomness

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »

Alright, I’ll come back when All the lore and endings are complete

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 06:12:53 AM »

Tall order! I look forward to seeing how you explore it :D

Only a few players have managed to see everything so far, most of them taking hints from others since there's a lot out there, but I do recall how much time I had to put into games when I was young and... yeah I have faith in you ;)