Grid Sage Forums

• April 26, 2024, 12:18:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Keyboard mode - how to install picked up parts?  (Read 2041 times)

InterDimensionalOwl

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Keyboard mode - how to install picked up parts?
« on: February 26, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »

I know it sounds silly; I am looking in the commands and manual. I can't seem to work out how to install a part I have picked up.

I also am struggling to understand the look command. In keyboard mode it states the movement key move the cursor, this doesn't happen for me, the suggested control tab doesn't cycle items. Should I be activating look mode to use the keys described?

Can any one help or point me to a specific area of the manual? I feel stupid asking, but I really want to play keyboard only. I play that way with DCSS and it feels faster and more fluid than mouse or mouse&KB.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have resolved the look and item cycling confusion. I changed the game options to KB only but it hadn't changed that in my current game. Pressing F2 twice worked and the look command keys work for me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:11:30 AM by InterDimensionalOwl »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Keyboard mode - how to install picked up parts?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:08:55 AM »

Oh hi and welcome InterDimensionalOwl, seen you on the leaderboards for a while (hard to miss :P)

The manual is actually not the place to look for all the commands, since it only includes a key-based list, rather than a complete list by function. Instead, in game when you open the game menu (F1 or ?), press '2' to go to the advanced commands, and everything you need will be right there. Anything dealing with part manipulation can be found in the relevant windows, so check out what's listed in the Parts and Inventory list area. There are multiple ways to attach parts :)

(Keyboard is definitely faster--lots of us just use that!)

...Oh, you edited while I was replying:
I also am struggling to understand the look command. In keyboard mode it states the movement key move the cursor, this doesn't happen for me
That's because you're not in look/examine mode, which you'll probably be familiar with from other roguelikes. You have to activate it with 'x'. Otherwise naturally movement keys are going to move yourself--how else would it differentiate between the two? ;)

("keyboard mode" and "examine mode" are not the same thing--the former just hides the mouse cursor and activates certain other keyboard features.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:11:34 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

InterDimensionalOwl

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:14:10 AM »

I may have updated again. Sorry :) I wasn't running in keyboard mode in the current game, that was not allowing the x key to enter look mode. All sorted on that front.

InterDimensionalOwl

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »

Wow I am dumb a$$. I was so focused on scanning through the commands list that I missed the whole part and inventory help sections. I think I am so used to help info being a wall of text, rather than being placed in sensible locations reletivee to the UI. That I just didn't look anywhere but the biggest block of text.

Sorry to waste your time; Thanks for the welcome. I hope my unusual username ends up a bit high up the leaderboards.  ;D I wish you good luck with the Steam release.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:22:48 AM by InterDimensionalOwl »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »

I changed the game options to KB only but it hadn't changed that in my current game.
Not sure what you mean here, since changing it in the options menu instantly switches over--you can see this because the cursor disappears. (F2 also works, though.)

Unless you mean directly in the cfg file, because yeah that is only read in on startup (and shouldn't be changed while the game is running because it will be completely overwritten on exiting the game, with whatever settings you've set while playing)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:24:06 AM »

I was so focused on scanning through the commands list that I missed the whole part and inventory help sections. I think I am so used to help info being a wall of text, rather than being placed in sensible locations reletivee to the UI.
Honestly this gets a lot of people, because it's true games don't usually do this kind of thing with their commands, but walls of text are both boring and in the end less useful than what I've done here :P

It was also somewhat necessary because the multiconsole at the top center can be any of four different windows, each with their own commands, and there was no way to fit all that together in a list as well, not to mention it would be even more confusing. So relative lists it is!

InterDimensionalOwl

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »

Well I started the game for the first time. Entered options and added my Username and logging. Then I set keyboard only mode. After closing the option menu, I tried to look around (after talking to intro bot), the x key didn't produce a result. Then as I said I tried cyclying via F2 and eveeryworked after that.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:58 AM »

Hm, your cursor may have been in an awkward location, not sure. Something similar seems to have happened to people before, though it's never repeatable and there isn't yet enough information to determine where there might be a problem. In any case, tapping F2 gets it set right and once you've set it, well, now you're a kb player and don't need to mess with that again :D

That said, lots of extra mouse improvements coming with Alpha 14 for the majority who still use it!