Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 07:49:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Score uploading/bone files  (Read 2031 times)

k00pa

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • \o/
    • View Profile
    • http://devblog.laurimakinen.net/
Score uploading/bone files
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

I see that the Cogmind is uploading scores to the server, are there plans for a public ladder or online listing of the scores?

Bone files would also be a nice extra feature, if possible.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Score uploading/bone files
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »

I see that the Cogmind is uploading scores to the server, are there plans for a public ladder or online listing of the scores?
I do hope to have this in the future in some form, yes. Right now it just stores your score sheets on gridsagegames.com.

I'm not doing anything with them yet, but later on we can analyze them to get metrics useful for balancing the game, or just fun :)

They'll also be used when we have tournaments, but I've yet to set all that up. I think my original plans for a tournament next month may have to be postponed because I'm still too busy with the non-dev stuff. Cogmind's popularity has exploded a little more than I anticipated...

Bone files would also be a nice extra feature, if possible.
Would that really be meaningful/noticeable with Cogmind, though? As is the maps are quite large, especially once you get out of early areas--you're likely to only see a small portion of a map before you leave it (and your entrance point is actually randomly chosen from among several possibilities).

You can try to sell me on the possibility, though I'm generally against any kind of meta that affects future games.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

nsg21

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »

Right now it just stores your score sheets on gridsagegames.com.

What the structure? Is it just the one directory where all the files are uploaded upon gamover?

I guess just giving access to raw files may be some kind of privacy issue, since there are names in those files. And possibly that mysterious "X=..." thing. What is it BTW?

So, short of giving access to raw files (either individually or zipped by date) one easy and meaningful thing to do would be to simply show how many of them are there.

Out of curiocsity: what kind of server software are you running all that stuff?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 01:22:30 AM »

It's just a shared server, no special software.

The text files are just being uploaded and dumped in a directory for now. As the text files only contain your in-game player name (for most people = forum name), I don't really see a privacy issue--the option can always be turned off, too (for that reason it also starts off by default so players must opt in). I'd really like to get to where we can have a way for everyone to more easily share scores, and there are a lot of other related features I'd like to add, too.

The mysterious "X=" thing is a cheat prevention mechanism, nothing more.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon