• April 26, 2024, 08:32:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Alpha 11 Discussions [SPOILER VERSION]  (Read 17368 times)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha 11 Discussions [SPOILER VERSION]
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »

I attempted to determine what makes the deadliest glass cannon combat build. I started as a stealth build, got myself 5 advanced hacking suites and a system shield, and got to work. I didn't manage to fab as much as I wanted, but I still got the gist of it. The fundamental of the build is two heavy flak cannons, plus a lot of target analyzers to pump up the crit rate, and some targetting computers to hit more. The flaks deliver 6 projectiles each, and the target analyzers bring the crit rate north of 50%. The odds of one of the 12 projectiles critting the core are high.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While it's not a sustainable build (you can't replace the flaks), it works rather well against normal robots. It fails completely against behemoths and special robots. I got stripped against Alpha 8, even though I had the last word. When Kyzrati says Behemoths and co are immune to crits, he means it. It wouldn't be so bad if only the core was immune to crits, but all their equipment is too.

I noticed experimentally that weapon cyclers perform even better than you'd think. Whether you pick the advanced version or the experimental version does not matter. You hit the 50% cap anyway. Rather amazingly, a second cycler has increasing returns. The firepower increases are respectively 33% and 100%. In practice it works even better because you can get 2 volleys out by the time the enemy gets one.

I'll try pumping core analyzers next. If you get >50% proccing odds, it should work pretty well against all enemies combined with big guns and weapon cyclers.

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »

Forgot to add, the big problem with that kind of build is that it's unbearable to play. Every time you shoot, you have to deactivate/reactivate 6 propulsions and 10 utilities.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »

Forgot to add, the big problem with that kind of build is that it's unbearable to play. Every time you shoot, you have to deactivate/reactivate 6 propulsions and 10 utilities.
Propulsion is pretty easy with the toggle key. As for the utility side, there are significant changes you will appreciate in Alpha 12.

Also, I just buffed all Flak weapons yesterday--damage is going up, matter use is coming down a bit. (So that would've been even more effective, but yeah, still not going to be good against hardened targets.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

rumpel

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »

So I just enjoyed a nice round. I still don't really know a lot and mostly just shoot around (hell, I had super fun with 3 EMP blasters, lol) but got pretty far compared to my other games. I died pretty unexpected: I hacked a terminal and didn't pay attention - I got detected and they dispatched a squad that TOTALLY cornered an destroyed me. I felt pretty unkillable before. :x

Lots of fun!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »

Whoa, 7k score on only 2 evolutions? That's impressive!

3 EMP Blasters is certainly one way to totally dominate the early game :P

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »

Had a silly run where I managed to get to Testing again.  Even after finding a few cool toys I still got torn to shreds in there.

With the acknowledgment that I am not the world's best gamer and that combat mode is hard mode in Cogmind, I think the branch difficulties in cogmind need tweaking.  Unless you have a perfect build, you are going to come out of any caves run in much worse shape than when you came in as a combat build.  Extension and from what I'm so far seen Testing are likewise brutal.  I understand that branches are supposed to be a high risk/reward scenarios, but the risks are really, really high and the rewards for the mid-game branches are not exactly breathtaking.  Every time I limp out of Zion, DM, or Zhirov with a combat build I always think to myself "well that wasn't worth it."  (Warlord has a great reward but getting out of that branch alive with a slow moving combat build is a feat unto itself).  I'm sure that's not the feeling you're shooting for. 

I've done branch runs with stealth builds the few times I've played stealth and it's of course infinitely easier.  But for players like me who have a strong preference for combat builds, visiting large swathes of the game feels like a suboptimal decision. 

Even if you think this a legitimate point, I'm not sure what the solution is.  Decreasing the branch difficulty or increasing the rewards helps stealth/hacker runs who need no help.  Further buffs to combat builds will make non-branch combat runs too easy (they're in a good place as is). 

One possibility is adding things to the Caves that would only be of use to a combat build, such as the occasional cache of heavy armor/weaponry/treads.  Not of much use to a stealth build, a godsend to a beat up combat cog.   Another possibility is adding the chance for a fabricator with a finite number of matter in Zion.  It would make runs where DM was on -7 and Zion with a fabricator on -6 very, very satisfying.   

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2016, 07:20:36 AM »

I think you'll find Alphas 12-14 will be somewhat different in that regard. We're only now moving into balance territory, and part of the issue is you were gone for a number of Alphas during which the game kept getting easier, but then suddenly it got more deadly in 11 when I went a tiny bit overboard clamping down on farming :P

Each type of branch still has some tweaking to go: Caves/Mines will be getting more content (they're technically still incomplete) and MAIN.C-controlled branches will be getting a little easier, because their primary difficulty for combat runs stems from the recent alert level changes that are going to be scaled back.

(That said, I don't find caves to be difficult as is, and I only run combat. But I also tend to stay away from danger as best possible, and use other cave-appropriate tactics like always fighting up in robots' faces and grabbing stuff as soon as one goes down if my inventory isn't already full!)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2016, 08:19:05 AM »

Can slow down / reduce self-destruction of items in the caves, which would mainly help combat builds.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2016, 08:21:24 AM »

I like that suggestion.  Item destruction can be mitigated by EM weapons or adjacent combat.  Sometimes neither is an option. 

E: you can also make how long it takes an item to go poof depend on integrity.  Processors and devices go poof the quickest.  Then things like legs and guns.  Cannons, armor, and treads could take the longest to self-destruct. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:23:06 AM by Happylisk »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »

It'll be considered if necessary--I like how the idea works mostly to help combat but not flight. Might be premature at this point due to planned updates to cave content, and Cogmind is already going to get more powerful again in Alpha 12.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]