Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 06:29:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Combat log hit location  (Read 1020 times)

Kalkkis

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Combat log hit location
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »

Sometimes combat log doesn't report what part of the robot you hit. If you destroy the part it doesn't show in the combat log, but it does show in the regular log. But sometimes in other cases it also isn't reported.

Also if you have full info, the probability of hitting the part you hit is shown, even if you don't have scan enhancer that would show you robot parts and chance to hit them, but that might be intended.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Combat log hit location
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:48:50 AM »

Sometimes combat log doesn't report what part of the robot you hit. If you destroy the part it doesn't show in the combat log, but it does show in the regular log. But sometimes in other cases it also isn't reported.
The combat log was only added (by request back during the 7DRL) to provide additional information that isn't in the regular log, which is why you won't see part destruction messages. Not sure what you mean isn't being reported where, but I'm sure there's an explanation (i.e. it's intentional) since it's very simple code without any kinds of special exceptions. The whole combat log needs to be worked, though, actually (or at least reassessed), but I haven't gotten to that yet since I've always seen it as pretty low priority.

It's been discussed a couple times on the forums, but that was last year and I see it at literally the very bottom of my long TODO list :P. I'll move it up higher and see about fixing it up over the next couple releases if no other pressing UI features get in the way.

Also if you have full info, the probability of hitting the part you hit is shown, even if you don't have scan enhancer that would show you robot parts and chance to hit them, but that might be intended.
Yeah that's intended.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kalkkis

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »

The combat log was only added (by request back during the 7DRL) to provide additional information that isn't in the regular log, which is why you won't see part destruction messages. Not sure what you mean isn't being reported where, but I'm sure there's an explanation (i.e. it's intentional) since it's very simple code without any kinds of special exceptions. The whole combat log needs to be worked, though, actually (or at least reassessed), but I haven't gotten to that yet since I've always seen it as pretty low priority.

Here is an example where I hit a swarmer with a minigun and the hit location isn't listed.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »

It turns out there are a bunch of reasons the hit location won't show. While not applicable here, no location will be listed if resistances prevented all damage, or the damage couldn't be applied for any of a number of reasons (usually special weapons/mechanics), or the robot was destroyed by an earlier weapon in the same volley. Of course there's also the lack of a listing during part destruction because that's in the log (the intention there was to keep duplicate data out of the calculation log, since it's rather small and scrolls fast).

It also won't show if the shot was accurate but didn't connect; in other words the target is behind something else like a robot, wall, or machine so the projectile didn't actually reach it. Technically the "hit" is recorded immediately on firing rather than on projectile impact, which was a compromise to ensure complete object data was available for the log since any number events could destroy reference objects once the projectile is in motion. (I.e., internally it was less complicated to do this way, and it was done back when the game was much simpler :P)

None of the above conditions really apply to what we're looking at here, so I poked around for over an hour and found the source :). Turns out it is a side effect of the dislocated hit + location messaging system. This is because even when you succeed at the accuracy check (and therefore get the "HIT" text), when firing at a small target (e.g. Swarmers, Watchers), the projectile still might pass through their location without hitting them because they have such a small profile (in Cogmind robots actually take up an area of 2D space within their cell based on their profile). You can test this by lining up along an axis and firing at a tiny/small robot, where you can clearly see if/when the projectile appears to shoot straight through it--consider this passing above/below the robot.

I'll take that into consideration when revamping the calc log and see if those can be counted as misses as well.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kalkkis

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »

Thanks for checking this out. So for small/tiny robots, in addition to having -10%/-30% for shots against them, they also have a bonus miss chance. I'll keep this in mind.