Grid Sage Forums

• April 25, 2024, 06:30:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weirdness with mouse  (Read 2073 times)

Elronnd

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
Weirdness with mouse
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:59:12 PM »

I often play on a laptop which, being a laptop, has a trackpad that tends to get bumped.  Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a huge problem, since I use keyboard mode, except, that the all keyboard seems to do is hide the mouse pointer, rather than disable it.  Even this wouldn't be such a big deal (even if it is imo a flaw), if it weren't for the fact that whenever I try to fire the target always follows the location of the mouse pointer.  Even if I haven't clicked it, or moved it, the firing cursor always moves to the location of the mouse.  This doesn't happen if I move the mouse outside of cogmind's window, but then when I press "f" a second time to actually fire after targetting, it doesn't shoot.  I think I ought to mention that I'm running on linux on wine.  Any advice?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weirdness with mouse
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 10:06:53 PM »

It's true the cursor is only hidden and not completely disabled, in order to keep behavior identical between the two modes in the simplest way possible. It's unrelated to the OS--this is standard Cogmind UI behavior.

My advice here is to use your laptop's hotkey to temporarily deactivate the trackpad (I tend to keep mine disabled when using lots of different software for that same reason :P). For example on my ASUS it's Fn+F9. Not sure what the equivalent would be on your Linux machine.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Elronnd

• Derelict
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »

Disabling the trackpad doesn't actually help because the mouse is still located somewhere.  The main problem is that even though I'm not moving the trackpad the cursor still automatically jumps to the location of the mouse.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »

I thought the original problem was what you mentioned at the opening, that bumping your laptop moves the cursor due to the trackpad. Disabling the trackpad will prevent that behavior.

Did I misunderstand? Maybe I'm no longer sure what problem is trying to be solved here.

Elronnd

• Derelict
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:48:32 PM »

I was stating two separate problems, one of them cogmind/wine's fault, the other my laptop's fault.  The one that's the laptop's fault is my wrists bumping the trackpad.  The one that's cogmind/wine's fault is the targeting cursor automatically going to the mouse's location even if the mouse hasn't moved or clicked.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 10:55:52 PM »

Right, so the first with the wrists can be solved by deactivating the trackpad (I have this problem, too depending on what I'm doing, so I just use a hotkey).

Assuming you disable your trackpad so that the first is no longer an issue, what causes the second--you mean when you intentionally put the cursor outside the game window? (Just confirming and then I can provide more info.)

Elronnd

• Derelict
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 11:08:40 AM »

Well this is embarrassing ;D  I can't reproduce it now.  But essentially what happened was that if the mouse was outside of cogmind's window I could target fine and the cursor wouldn't follow the mouse; but then when I pressed f a second time to actually fire nothing would get fired.  Now what's happening is the mouse is getting moved to the location of the cursor and then everything fires fine.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »

Heh, well, I sorta know what you were referring to, since I've seen it happen before, but I just wanted to hear your take on it before saying anything more.

It's not too common, only happens/matters when you have the cursor off, and the fix is generally to move the cursor around and get it back in the map area. Really everything should work okay if you're hiding the cursor and keep your trackpad disabled to avoid having the cursor shifted accidentally. I've only ever seen it happen when playing in keyboard mode while multitasking in and out of the window for development purposes, not during regular play.

If you can figure out some steps to reliably produce it I might be able to find a fix, but it's pretty minor.