Grid Sage Forums

• April 26, 2024, 01:36:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Do you evolve in the branches? and several other noob questions  (Read 2384 times)

mathSq

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

I recently got into a really bad spot and found myself with low core integrity on -7. Of course, given my luck, I wound up in the Caves instead of -6, and managed to hobble my way to Data Miner with NINE core integrity. I of course mined the data and it was glorious.

NINJA EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After raiding the terminals, I went through the exit, expecting to enter -6/Prox Caves reinvigorated with an evolution. Indeed, after leaving Data Miner I found myself on -6, one level higher than where I was. But alas, I didn't evolve. Instead, I was surrounded by hostiles, and died on literally my next turn.

Major question: when do evolutions happen? Do they occur in branches, or only when you reach the next level of Complex 0b10?

Also, a couple of minor questions over things I noticed:
  • How exactly do I use the access codes Data Miner gives me? I've surmised that the one on the terminals is intended for the Recycling entrance, but I'm not sure what the God Mode code is for. Where do I punch it in--any 0b10 terminal, any Data Miner terminal, or some special machine?
  • Do Force Fields stack?

Morgue: (you'll also notice I built up a lot... of heat...)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:51:19 AM by mathSq »

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
Re: Do you evolve in the branches? and several other noob questions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »

Major question: Yeah, you basically have it figured out. You only evolve when you both go up a level AND hit the main complex (Materials, Factory, Research, Access).

Minor 1: You can't use the God Mode code yet. You'll be able to use it when Warlord's branch is implemented though, sometime in the next version or two. The Recycling code is permanent, unlike most other codes you come by, so you can use it in future runs.

Minor 2: Good question.

While we're here, I have a question of my own. It's really dumb, but... Corruption refreshes back to 0% every time you level up, yes? I am 99% sure this is how it works, but it's not in the manual lol. I dunno, maybe it deserves a line in there somewhere.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 07:38:27 PM »

Minor 2: Any utility that stacks will have a "<stacks>" indicator by its description. (The "Advanced UI" section of the manual talks about this and other special indicators.) Force Fields don't have that indicator, so no stacking. The only reason to have more than one active is if you're afraid one will be shot off in the middle of taking a lot of fire (but generally you'd rather have something else in that second slot to begin with).

@biomatter: ?!?!?!?! I am very surprised that you of all players aren't sure of this by now :P. Correct, and I've just added a line for that to the manual, thanks.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:50:50 PM »

I mean, like, I was 99% certain... but it wasn't in the manual. I dunno. I had a brain fart when I came back and just wanted to make you aware it wasn't in the manual.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:06:18 AM »

Yeah, makes sense to throw it in there with the evolution and corruption talk.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon