Grid Sage Forums

• April 26, 2024, 06:24:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: New Cogmind Desktop  (Read 3787 times)

Dzlan

• Unaware
  • Dwarf Overseer
    • View Profile
New Cogmind Desktop
« on: October 13, 2015, 03:04:02 PM »

So, there is a lot of amazing wallpapers on the Media page for Cogmind.
I decided to think about changing my Desktop/Conky mix and use one of those. Not necessarily because it's Cogmind, but because those wallpapers are so amazing.
https://sc-cdn.scaleengine.net/i/35e0e693c51bb382a175fa49d3783479.png
This is currently what I've done in the past half hour, while waiting for my next class to start.

I think it's time I learn how to do those circular bars with the lua scripts. I think they'd look a lot nicer with this.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: New Cogmind Desktop
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »

Ooh pretty, and so fitting. Bars are good; maybe... more data? ;)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Dzlan

• Unaware
  • Dwarf Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »

Just spent the past 5 hours straight preparing for tonight's Programming test. Which is in about.. an hour or 2. Moment I get home, if I don't drop dead on my bed, I'll probably do some heavy work on getting some real information onto this desktop. :P Email notifications and the like..

Didn't have much time to work on this, but I can't wait to get back to it. : D

Dzlan

• Unaware
  • Dwarf Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »

Hm, not a lot of progress.. I'm horrible at design, so I truly have no idea what to put on there. xD
I was thinking of syncing, I dunno RSS feeds and the like, the email notification, anything else internet related.
I'll even try and do the similar green box around  these things that Cogmind has in it's information panels, because they look soo clean and nice.

A friend came up with the idea of downloading a larger wallpaper, and cropping out a section that didn't have the Cogmind logo. I don't know why I never think of these things myself, seriously.

In other news, progress.
https://sc-cdn.scaleengine.net/i/af273fcbc3d1231cc264e5c94f706fe8.png

On the right is Dwarf Fortress running so that I could watch one of the CPU bars just explode with activity.
And battery bar is empty because I actually take out my laptop battery completely when using it at home.

Anyone got any suggestions of cool things to add? I need ideas, cause I just downright suck at design in general. It's literally the one thing that ruins all of my projects.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:45:03 AM »

Would be funny if you had it download the latest Cogmind leaderboards (if that were even possible :P).

Seriously, RSS and email notification sound useful. One basic thing that's missing is a clock of some sort--time/date etc. Maybe also master audio volume setting. Those are things I often reference. Would it also show external drives in the space list? (Like temporarily attached thumb drives.)

While you could add a little more design flair, it's very easy to go to far with that stuff! It already looks quite nice. (Really nice color on the UPTIME entry, by the way!)

And battery bar is empty because I actually take out my laptop battery completely when using it at home.
Heh, I do the same, which is 99% of the time I'm using the laptop, so the battery is always in great shape until my laptop dies or is eventually replaced. Not that these batteries last long in the first place :/
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Dzlan

• Unaware
  • Dwarf Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:00:41 AM »

Master volume and time are currently in there now.
Mountable drives are a good idea and should be pretty easy to add.
Also I'm going to add the mediaplayer I use for music, song name, current time, song time, audio player volume, etc

Thanks for the ideas though. Got the whole weekend to work on this too, although those features are pretty quick and simple, done them enough times :P