• May 02, 2024, 07:40:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Alpha Challenge 2015 (September 8-22)  (Read 107828 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Challenge 2015 (September 8-22, IN PROGRESS!)
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »

It's a better late-game tactic because robots are just as susceptible to EM as they were at the beginning (since it's on its own scale), but the weapons do significantly more damage.

By the end with a full EM loadout you should be able to take out almost anything quickly, as long as you can hit it, so Behemoths are extra easy in that regard. The drawback was supposed to be you're less equipped to confront Programmers, though their number has been reduced from before...

Maybe to offset that change and restore the balance Programmers will need to have their EM resistance further increased.
That's a great point regarding EM late-game. What if enemies required more damage to die from system corruption the more core integrity they have? And regarding programmers, I often swapped weapon loadouts depending on what I was facing (or expecting to face). Programmers are still suicidal i.e. they overheat really fast.

I see. There are already 3-4 ways I can think of luring Sentries from their positions without taking direct fire. Not all effective in all situations, but I believe a universal solution would make things a little more boring.
That's completely fair enough! I know of a few ways, I was just wondering since shouting is a thing in games like DCSS.

'r' is also used as the actual run key (not just stopping) for players using vi-keys, so it can't be reused.
Fair enough, but you have any number of letters you can use. Still, I agree it wouldn't be an important addition.

Re: those stats, they're quite nifty. You can see avg. damage drop off at 0 because of my 3/4 stealth wins where I hardly do any damage. The only reason why it's even that high is because of the massive damage I did in the combat run. I wonder what extermination squads are, and even the investigation squads. I think the assault teams are the grunt teams with a bruiser/duelist and saboteur, which is a tough mix of units to deal with.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2015, 08:21:02 AM »

That's a great point regarding EM late-game. What if enemies required more damage to die from system corruption the more core integrity they have?
Not sure yet. I'd like the system to be mostly transparent and easy to use (damage = corruption), and the proposed solution works against that.

An alternative would be to equip actual anti-EM parts on later robots (which would be working within the lore space), though then the player has access to these even more frequently. There's also the possibility of giving them more native resistance to offset better EM weapons (and the player then couldn't have access to any related part), but I wanted to keep class resistances equal across classes regardless of variant (early or late-game).

And regarding programmers, I often swapped weapon loadouts depending on what I was facing (or expecting to face). Programmers are still suicidal i.e. they overheat really fast.
I noticed. They were supposed to overheat if you use a good amount of thermal against them, but if they're still melting even before that point then I haven't done enough to counteract it. I'm probably going to do three things to them for the next build: further increase their EM resistance, make them slightly weak against TH weapons (which would be the only such robot), and give them better heat dissipation.

'r' is also used as the actual run key (not just stopping) for players using vi-keys, so it can't be reused.
Fair enough, but you have any number of letters you can use. Still, I agree it wouldn't be an important addition.
Right now I'm all for avoiding anything that's not an "important addition" :P. Soooo many important things to do. Like new branches... all of which have been getting stacked behind other important things to do...

Re: those stats, they're quite nifty. You can see avg. damage drop off at 0 because of my 3/4 stealth wins where I hardly do any damage. The only reason why it's even that high is because of the massive damage I did in the combat run. I wonder what extermination squads are, and even the investigation squads. I think the assault teams are the grunt teams with a bruiser/duelist and saboteur, which is a tough mix of units to deal with.
Yeah, I noticed the cause behind the 0-depth explosive ratio--that bar is... all zxc. I'm curious what it would've looked like without the combat run! It would perhaps also be slightly different if the Programmers and/or potential assault squads could reach you in -1. Once we have some other combat victories (if that happens by the end--I hope), that bar will certainly make a corresponding jump.

Also interesting: Notice the rather significant jump in total damage going into -3 ;)

The squad types you'll learn about later in Alpha 5-ish, if you haven't figured it out by then. You can decipher the associations now by hacking dispatch records in combination with what's happening in response to your actions. Easier said than done since terminals aren't always so convenient (plus you're usually busy with more important things :P).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2015, 10:14:26 AM »

That's a great point regarding EM late-game. What if enemies required more damage to die from system corruption the more core integrity they have?
Not sure yet. I'd like the system to be mostly transparent and easy to use (damage = corruption), and the proposed solution works against that.
I would argue that this would be just as easy to use (damage still = corruption). In fact, I think it is less intuitive that a huge robot like a Behemoth dies as fast to the same amount of EM damage as a tiny, weakling robot. I kind of like that system though, as it gives Behemoths an interesting weak-point. However, they're too weak! Maybe late-game EM weapons need to be nerfed instead?

It would perhaps also be slightly different if the Programmers and/or potential assault squads could reach you in -1.
Definitely the damage would have been higher. Also, my score would have been higher :P

Also interesting: Notice the rather significant jump in total damage going into -3 ;)
That's very interesting. I would suppose it's due to the increase in concentration of enemies, which further results in rapid increases to alert levels and even more robots. Plus most combat runs end when the alert level gets too high, and a lot of high score runs ended on -3.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »

I have a cogmind currently rampaging through Access.  I had to stop for the day due to social obligations but I think this is it.  Getting through research without sensors, drones, or hacking was painless after I realized what I've been doing wrong literally every run til now.  I'll post more after hopefully reaching the surface. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:13:58 PM by Happylisk »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2015, 09:16:45 PM »

I would argue that this would be just as easy to use (damage still = corruption). In fact, I think it is less intuitive that a huge robot like a Behemoth dies as fast to the same amount of EM damage as a tiny, weakling robot. I kind of like that system though, as it gives Behemoths an interesting weak-point. However, they're too weak! Maybe late-game EM weapons need to be nerfed instead?
The idea was to give them a weak point you can take advantage of, yes. It is possible late-game EM weapons could use a bit of a nerf, but it would be all to easy to get almost no one to use them. As is they can at least do a non-minimal amount of real damage along with their EM effect. Lowering their damage further would mean that if you still use them, the main purpose would be purely for corruption, and you'd have to use a lot of them to achieve that (combining them with other weapons would be pointless compared to how it sorta works now).

An alternative to better protect specific robots would be to equip them with Dynamic Insulation Systems (there are several robots more advanced than a Behemoth that use these).

It's mostly a case of whether EM is OP enough against everything such that it's always the best option. With Programmers soon to get another boost in that regard, it could make that a more dangerous strategy. (For the record: biomatter, the first Cogmind to win, said he loved late-game EM and thought it was OP at the time.)

I have a cogmind currently rampaging through Access.  I had to stop for the day due to social obligations but I think this is it.  Getting through research without sensors, drones, or hacking was painless after I realized what I've been doing wrong literally every run til now.  I'll post more after hopefully reaching the surface. 
Sounds like you can already see the light at the end of the tunnel! Rampaging through Access is usually the state shortly before a victorious run :D

I'm also quite curious what it is you discovered that you've been doing wrong ???

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2015, 09:53:53 PM »

Dying to know what the secret is. Getting through research painlessly is something that eludes everyone else, including myself.

Did you start mining tunnels through the map? Stack EM weapons and found they were OP? Conversely, stacked kinetic weapons and found they were super efficient with force fields? Starting purging threat a lot? But you said without hacking... Did you start moving into optimal positions at the start of firefights (like you would in DCSS) instead of fighting in the open? Allocate more space in your pack for weapons? Trying to figure out what would be a eureka moment, but it's hard. :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »

Just uploaded another score update. The latter half of the top 10 is starting to shuffle over weekend play, and I also just revealed another batch of the achievements (though more names than descriptions for now).

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2015, 04:45:42 AM »

LOCATION = SURFACE

GOAL = ACCOMPLISHED

LRC-V3 codenamed "Happylisk" has left the building. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2015, 05:06:05 AM »

Dying to know what the secret is. Getting through research painlessly is something that eludes everyone else, including myself.

.....Stack EM weapons ....?

Winner winner chicken dinner.

In a funny sense I've come full circle.  When I first started cogmind, my favorite thing to find in storage was advanced emp blasters.  I'd sometimes equip 3 and run around 1 shotting things including carriers.  And then I met programmers and learned of their resistance to em weapon and drastically cut down on my em usage.  Relatedly, hunters have been giving me huge troubles.  Run ending troubles.  These things are interconnected. 

My weapon load out normally was a kinetic and 2 thermals or the inverse.  I figured thermals were a good choice because nothing resists them.  True enough, but nothing is vulnerable to them either.  Looking at this chart real carefully inspired me to change my foolish ways:

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=259.0

Here's how I changed my build.  Around mid factory, this run I used 2 kinetic weapons and 2 em weapons.  Against grunts, they're vulnerable to all 4 guns.  They would usually get one shot.  Against terminators, I would sub out 1 kinetic for a spare em weapon and turn off the other kinetic.  With one swap, I have a 3 shot volley he's weak to.  With programmers, I do the reverse: switch to one kinetic weapon, turn off the em gun.  By only shooting at enemies with weapons they're weak to, I was one shotting tons of fools even in factory.  Best defense is a good offense; having fights end about twice as fast allowed me to build up a good utility set up and take control.

2 other changes.  One, whenever I got programmer alerts in Research I would move to single tile corridors when possible and wait.  It prevented getting swarmed.  Two, I would position myself so I could tell which direction they were coming from.  This helped me accurately guess where the stairs were pretty easily. 

I don't think I purged alert once after -5 or so.  By moving fast, I avoided the consequences of tons of squads coming down.  When they did, I'd blast em with aoe weapons. 

Are EM weapons OP?  I don't think so, but will admit they're def the best weapons.  Also, I think that EM usage will be reflected in scores.  I imagine that if more robots go down to corruption rather than being killed the normally way, that will have a depressive effect on the score.   

I think thermal weapons are underpowered.  I didn't use thermal at all this round, didn't pick up thermal guns.  In the current state of the game, I think a thermal weapon should only be used out of desperation.  The change to make programmers heat vulnerable will give them a nice oomph. 

K, speaking as someone who's exclusively played roguelikes since 2002, I think this is the best roguelike I've ever played.

e: oh man I really, really, really hope I hold on to the Heavy Metal award. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:14:33 AM by Happylisk »

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2015, 05:25:42 AM »

LOCATION = SURFACE

GOAL = ACCOMPLISHED

LRC-V3 codenamed "Happylisk" has left the building. 

Hell yeah! Congrats!

.....Stack EM weapons ....?

Winner winner chicken dinner.
Scattershot approach works! I do much the same thing as you were doing this run ie. swapping weapons a lot based on enemies being faced, ever since I came up with that table. Glad that helped it click for you!

2 other changes.  One, whenever I got programmer alerts in Research I would move to single tile corridors when possible and wait.  It prevented getting swarmed.  Two, I would position myself so I could tell which direction they were coming from.  This helped me accurately guess where the stairs were pretty easily. 
That waiting thing also clicked for me recently. But do you know for sure that programmer dispatches come from an exit? That's an excellent method of finding the exit if that's the case.

K, speaking as someone who's exclusively played roguelikes since 2002, I think this is the best roguelike I've ever played.
That's high praise given how much DCSS you've played! I'm not quite ready to give up the top spot just yet, but it's second by a long way for me. :)

e: oh man I really, really, really hope I hold on to the Heavy Metal award. 
I'd challenge you for it but I don't have a clue what it's for. Maybe something related to heavy armour? Maybe something to do with being highest mass over support capacity? I'm a metalhead myself so I feel I should be up there too. :P

I'm going to try a bit of a turncount speedrun before the end of the tournament. I'd do it now but I'm suddenly really busy. Hopefully I will have some time before the end.

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2015, 05:44:33 AM »

That waiting thing also clicked for me recently. But do you know for sure that programmer dispatches come from an exit? That's an excellent method of finding the exit if that's the case.

I'm 99% sure programmers come from the stairs.  Besides looking out for the direction they came from, I also see how long it takes them to get to me.  Once I had programmers on me about 25 turns after the message, letting me know the exit was close. 

I think Heavy metal awards heaviest average build.  I'm a metalhead too so it'll be in good hands if I can keep it  :D

Here's a very interesting thing from my run:

Maximum Alert Level        2
  Low Security (%)         71
  Level 1                  27
  Level 2                  1
  Level 3                  0
  Level 4                  0
  Level 5                  0

That's... crazy.  I'm not sure how to explain that.  I think I only did 3 alert purges total.  Does going into Waste reduce the alert level?  I deliberately went there twice. 

By way of comparison, here's zxc's alert level from his winning combat run:

Maximum Alert Level        3
  Low Security (%)         46
  Level 1                  25
  Level 2                  25
  Level 3                  2
  Level 4                  0
  Level 5                  0

Slightly higher than mine, and with 10 alert purges.  I'm not sure what I did to keep the level low but clearly keeping the level no higher than 2 is key. 

Question for K: Would the AI treat a robot being corrupted to death differently than a robot being blown up for security purposes?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:57:13 AM by Happylisk »

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2015, 05:53:48 AM »

We know that entering a new floor reduces the alert level. It's not clear whether this only applies to main floors (like evolutions) or all floors. It could be that entering the Waste twice contributed heavily towards reducing your alert level.

It could also be that your strategy of not getting bogged down in combat paid off with respect to influence.

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2015, 06:02:51 AM »

In your winning combat run, you corrupted 11 enemy robots to death.  I corrupted 56.  I suspect this is what kept the alert level low (and if I'm right, corrupting an enemy to death should probably bother the AI more).  I could be wrong though, and maybe it was Waste. 

Also, minor bug: the scoresheet does not say how long you spent in waste, unlike other branches. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:14:06 AM by Happylisk »

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2015, 07:18:42 AM »

In your winning combat run, you corrupted 11 enemy robots to death.  I corrupted 56.  I suspect this is what kept the alert level low (and if I'm right, corrupting an enemy to death should probably bother the AI more).  I could be wrong though, and maybe it was Waste. 

Also, minor bug: the scoresheet does not say how long you spent in waste, unlike other branches.

Oh my. That's a lot of corruption. If there's an achievement for that, you're no doubt way in front of everyone there. I suspect enemies defeated by system corruption also don't get added to your score. I think enemies defeated by system melting and system corruption ought to count in exactly the same way as those defeated by regular destruction, particularly regarding alert level and score.

Also I just realised that there are now three players each for combat and stealth wins.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:21:55 AM by zxc »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »

Yay, congrats Happylisk! And thank you for proving that full EM might be somewhat OP at the end ;) (Even just being "definitely the best" still hints that some re-balancing is in order--good point about the score, though. I won't take any drastic measures here.). Sounds like you had a really sound strategy going there on top of that, though.

Two, I would position myself so I could tell which direction they were coming from.  This helped me accurately guess where the stairs were pretty easily.
Ah you figured this strategy out. I was wondering when someone would notice ;)

I think thermal weapons are underpowered.  I didn't use thermal at all this round, didn't pick up thermal guns.  In the current state of the game, I think a thermal weapon should only be used out of desperation.  The change to make programmers heat vulnerable will give them a nice oomph.
Yeah, that's part of the intent there--it needs another boost or two. Thermal is obviously at a bit of a disadvantage since it drains power you'd rather be spending on other things regardless of your build; this despite its multiple existing advantages.

Causing meltdowns was another mechanic aimed at improving thermal viability, but it has been difficult to properly balance that since hostile robots don't have very stable heat levels so it'll generally be either too easy or too difficult to melt them. That will require a little more testing, but I know Programmers will be weak against thermal and that will mix things up.

You're not leaving much room for improvement there :)

Well, I've hooked you and quite a few other people; next up is to make the game simply irresistible on many more levels and expand that audience to ensure financial success and make sure the sequel is just as awesome (no, let's not talk about that now :P). Lots of work to do!

That's high praise given how much DCSS you've played! I'm not quite ready to give up the top spot just yet, but it's second by a long way for me. :)
I'l take second to DCSS ;). That game is awesome (and created by a zillion talented individuals), as are many of the major roguelikes. Different players just get into different games, too, and I'm sure Cogmind can easily fill some voids since there isn't really anything like it.

I'd challenge you for it but I don't have a clue what it's for. Maybe something related to heavy armour? Maybe something to do with being highest mass over support capacity? I'm a metalhead myself so I feel I should be up there too.
zxc with his scattershot approach again :). I believe I recall from looking over the complete achievement values this morning that Happylisk is far in the lead on that one.

Question for K: Would the AI treat a robot being corrupted to death differently than a robot being blown up for security purposes?
Hm, because the game doesn't track what sources caused corruption (as it's an indirect form of damage that can come from many different origins and accumulate over time--more difficult to accurately track), I'll admit here that corrupted robots are ignored by the AI. So that was working in your favor (and may be a clue that EM weapons are too good--I may add a tracking system for at least primary corruption sources after all). However, I will say from look at your data that it wasn't the sole contributing factor to your low security level.

I think enemies defeated by system melting and system corruption ought to count in exactly the same way as those defeated by regular destruction, particularly regarding alert level and score.
I'll look into expanding the system to include both. Holding a tournament and getting everyone (especially myself) closely examining scoring and score sheets has made quite a few meaningful discoveries.

Very odd. It appears to be working normally for some players. I do see it's missing from your winning record and you say you visited it so it really should be listed. Not sure why that would happen. It was just added to the system for the most recent release, the first new map area since the first alpha, and while it seemed like it was working fine maybe I forgot something? Thanks for letting me know; I'll investigate.

mendonca

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »

The morgue file:

I mean, what does that even look like?

I don't know, but I had a go:

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »

The morgue file:

Bahahaha! It's overweight on those little treads and everything. I love it! You're a fantastic artist!

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »

Also, Reiver why aren't you in the Challenge?

Because I've been eaten alive by work and illness simultaneously. I'll be starting my first run of the new alpha... um... tonight.

I guess there'll be a participation medal in it for me if I play really quickly...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »

The morgue file:

Whoa, best Cogmind fan art I've seen so far! Requesting permission to pass it along :D

Also, Reiver why aren't you in the Challenge?
Because I've been eaten alive by work and illness simultaneously. I'll be starting my first run of the new alpha... um... tonight.

I guess there'll be a participation medal in it for me if I play really quickly...
Aw, sorry to hear that. It's pretty easy to at least get in there since all you need is to make it to -9.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2015, 09:24:54 PM »

The last stats before The End. (After which will come more stats ;))

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2015, 09:37:01 PM »

Those are some cool stats. You may already be planning it, but I'd like to see avg score by depth (maybe along with max/min scores at each depth). That would tell us where score really starts to ramp up (I think it would be at -3). And perhaps (avg) max influence by depth. Avg/min/max turns at each depth would be sweet (might have to skip depths where the run ended). Run length (in real-time) by depth. I guess I'm just interested in stats by depth. :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:38:36 PM by zxc »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2015, 09:59:19 PM »

Hehe, data by depth is a fun to examine. Good suggestions! I'll see about doing those in my... copious spare time :)

That and some new types of graphs I wanted to start preparing are a few trends from throughout the event, though there are fewer interesting data points there. I'll also be reloading all the old graphs with new data from the Challenge as a whole.

mendonca

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2015, 01:12:30 AM »

Bahahaha! It's overweight on those little treads and everything. I love it! You're a fantastic artist!
Whoa, best Cogmind fan art I've seen so far!
Thanks guys! :)

Requesting permission to pass it along :D
Of course, pass it wherever you must!

I'll also be reloading all the old graphs with new data from the Challenge as a whole.
Oh goodie, I did suspect you might do this, but I'm glad it's been confirmed.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2015, 04:28:13 AM »

I'm going to have a crack at improving my Best Escape score of 1.08 but no matter what, my stealth runs will lower my average score across all runs (currently 9.7k) :(

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2015, 04:45:45 AM »

Heh, it might be tough to top that considering you don't know the formula and it's not only based on speed, but you can try (and perhaps give Happylisk a chance to take your 1337 title if he's having another go or two at high scores :P). Of course, you do currently hold 15 achievements already. (I'll admit 1337 is one of the most admirable, though.)

Oh goodie, I did suspect you might do this, but I'm glad it's been confirmed.
Sooo many stats.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9