Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 08:43:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #122 [Beta 6] [Seed: PrecisionLaserSegregator]  (Read 4296 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile

This week's seed: PrecisionLaserSegregator

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: PrecisionLaserSegregator] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #122 [Beta 6] [Seed: PrecisionLaserSegregator]
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 01:28:05 AM »

Yay, back to streaming again!

So my real (first) seed run is sad since I technically died in the Mines of all places while fooling around, so not really worth posting the stats here. Too bad I wasn't paying attention xD

Then I immediately started another run of the same seed and spent a few hours on that, making it into the late-game. The video of today's run can be found , including the first (very short) failed run to preserve the conversation and continuity. (The restart happens around the 20-minute mark... How embarrassing :P)

The main strategy was combat, as per usual, though overall a pretty suboptimal run. It didn't matter too much since decent tactics made it possible to avoid getting dragged into too many fights. A number of times I had sensors and a nice terrain scanner to help navigate between rooms, so everything was going really smoothly all the way up to -4.

At that point I was considering going for the Straight Shot achievement, a win without visiting branches since I'd managed to missed everything along the way anyway. Then I found an Upper Caves exit and viewers wanted me to go in since it's more fun so I did that. Sure enough, fun awaited...

I'll spoiler this bit so I can talk freely about late-game branch events (the rest of the spoilers are just images).
Spoiler: W (click to show/hide)

Okay, sorta safe. The result was me coming back through the Proximity Caves, one of the most deadly areas of the game, mostly naked and very low on core integrity...

That was where things got exciting though, with a lot of close calls and just barely making it back to Research alive! Aw yeah.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I managed to rebuild pretty quickly, and among my finds got hold of a bunch of armored treads, Adv. Weapon Cyclers, and there were tons of HERF Cannons. Research was practically a HERF farm.

Rather than search forever for a way up, I took a branch exit since I'm eager to reach -2/Research since I know what's going to happen there. This run is highly winnable.

We'll see if I can manage it when I pick up again with another stream in two days...

(I have no idea which branch I'm in, but we'll find out then :P)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:56:29 AM »

Yay, back to streaming again!

So my real (first) seed run is sad since I technically died in the Mines of all places while fooling around, so not really worth posting the stats here. Too bad I wasn't paying attention xD]

I went back and looked to check - it looks like you had 93 integrity right before the cave-in, so that did quite a bit of damage.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »

Yeah that's another reason to be surprised here :P

I have to investigate, but IIRC it's using standard cave-in code (which it really shouldn't...) and it's possible that I got pushed to the side and hit by multiple cave-ins? Not sure, but anyway will be changing that. Didn't realize that event could actually kill.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 12:56:21 AM »

Part 2, the grand conclusion! It really did turn out pretty epic, and unsurprisingly the final three maps took longer than the entire rest of the run combined :P

I've uploaded the entire part 2 to YouTube .

Being the late game it's mostly spoilers, so:

Next we'll stream some runs that don't go for a win, just pure fun stuff :)

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 11:12:02 AM »

Hey! Since spring finals are done, I jumped back in with my first run of Beta 6! (unfortunately, summer school has started up  :'()

This was a super fun run for me. I got to see 4 (4!) branches that I hadn't seen before and had a really good time with the achievements.

Right off the bat, I knew I wanted to do a combat run, so I started picking up as much stuff and kinetic weapons as I could. Most of the early game was an infowar type build, with my utility slots filled with sensors, large storage units, and a targeting computer (so good!).

My first achievement was...Loot Pinata! (Destroy a Hauler) followed by Crack Shot (Hit 10 shots in a row).  ;D I had a good time messing up mats.

In sublevel 9, I went into storage, looking for some good loot. I managed to stir up some trouble with the newly implemented drone release feature, which was a whole lot of fun.

At any rate, it was a marvelous run with a decent score to boot!

This run will eventually be uploaded to my youtube channel. Check it out for a bunch of Cogmind content.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 05:13:19 AM »

Nice, 62 achievements on your first run, and all those new maps :D

Cool that you were able to go all the way through the Extension branch on your first visit. Definitely lots to do there and it's worth a good many trips! I passed the entrance myself on stream earlier today, but too bad was in SG mode so couldn't enter... Maybe next time.

And dang, high sec in A xD