Grid Sage Forums

• April 26, 2024, 03:17:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Mandatory Music Thread  (Read 8580 times)

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
Mandatory Music Thread
« on: May 30, 2015, 01:53:10 PM »

Every forum needs one. Or three.

I haven't found an unofficial theme for Cogmind yet, so I'll just link my standard roguelike track. Originally I paired it with Spelunky, but pretty much any dungeon delvey roguelike. Brogue and Sil especially.

Any good tracks for Cogmind?
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

boomblip

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Mandatory Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »

This has been on heavy rotation in my life. https://soundcloud.com/skiponline/skp-sedna-session-2013-crazy

boomblip

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:03:38 AM »

For the last month or so of pre-alpha development, and all my own playtesting, I was listening to the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon OST again and again and again...

I've never played the game, but that soundtrack is some awesome retro sci-fi. In fact, while listening I was thinking it's not really suitable for Cogmind, but I might want something like it for the future X@COM reincarnation OST.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »

For the last month or so of pre-alpha development, and all my own playtesting, I was listening to the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon OST again and again and again...

I've never played the game, but that soundtrack is some awesome retro sci-fi. In fact, while listening I was thinking it's not really suitable for Cogmind, but I might want something like it for the future X@COM reincarnation OST.
Deus Ex: HR's soundtrack is also a great focus soundtrack. And the soundtrack to "The Social Network" is one I hit up when coding every once in a while.

Edit: also can't forget https://soundcloud.com/absurdistabsurdist
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:54:09 PM by ironpotato »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »

Deus Ex: HR's soundtrack is also a great focus soundtrack.
Absolutely! That one fits well, too, and I used it quite a lot during development last year. If you like that, there's also a great remix by OC Remix.

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »

Deus Ex: HR's soundtrack is also a great focus soundtrack.
Absolutely! That one fits well, too, and I used it quite a lot during development last year. If you like that, there's also a great remix by OC Remix.
Ooh I'm going to have to check that out! Thanks for the link

Deliz Seemack

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »

I just downloaded the Deus Ex OC Remix and I must say it is pretty good.
You can find me on Steam on http://steamcommunity.com/id/delizseemack

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »

I was happy to find that, too. I used to listen to a lot of OC Remix, but neglected it for several years before going back last year to check out what they'd been up to, and that one really stood out.

nullzero

• Unaware
  • Linux gamer
    • View Profile
    • Groupees Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »

what about a cogmind meets Shodan the perfect imortal machine  :o

System Shock 2 had a balance of arcade like pumping and slow and eery electronic music:

>

Besides that and non Cogmind related, I've been listening over and over again Starbound OST:

> https://soundcloud.com/curtis-schweitzer/starbound
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:15:12 PM by nullzero »

CormacMccarthy91

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »

Hotline Miami and Hotline Miami 2 soundtracks are great, the half life 2 soundtrack is surprisingly good, but BY FAR the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon soundtrack was MADE for this game, its slow for the most part and the synth is so amazing. ugh its wonderful.

Recently a movie came out on youtube for free called Kung Fury, that soundtrack is perfect as well.
“Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.”
-Judge

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »

SS2 is pretty good, though it sounds a little dated, or maybe just because it was extremely specific to augmenting the atmosphere of that particular game. That's the thing about game music--the best will always reflect and become a part of the mood of the game and only that game. Annoys the heck out of me when composers try take the feel of one game's OST and jam it into another sometimes completely unrelated game--ruins the feel for me.

That Starbound OST is beautiful.

I look forward to hiring someone to do a Blood Dragon-like soundtrack for my next project :D. Cogmind will probably be darker rather than retro sci-fi, and more about ambiance than strong melodies. We'll see.

Forgot to mention another Deus Ex remix on OCR. The first track there was actually my placeholder music while working on the original alpha trailer, but in the end the style was deemed too high-powered to match the pacing of the kind of presentation we needed.

Another good robotic listen is Quixotica. Takes a little while to get going, but you guys will probably like it.

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »

Recently a movie came out on youtube for free called Kung Fury, that soundtrack is perfect as well.
I've been waiting for that movie for a while now. It totally lived up to my expectations.

SS2 is pretty good, though it sounds a little dated, or maybe just because it was extremely specific to augmenting the atmosphere of that particular game. That's the thing about game music--the best will always reflect and become a part of the mood of the game and only that game. Annoys the heck out of me when composers try take the feel of one game's OST and jam it into another sometimes completely unrelated game--ruins the feel for me.
I find it really odd that there are games that I like their soundtracks, but I use them in other games instead of the one they're intended for. Like in Ys or Castlevania I tend to listen to AC/DC or some metal Touhou arranges. But I totally use tracks from those while playing other games.

Speaking of Ys, the Origin version of Termination is amazing. I might turn it on loop next time I make it to Access. The sounds themselves might not seem like they fit, but the scale and pacing should really suit the tension.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »

I've been waiting for that movie for a while now. It totally lived up to my expectations.
I need to check this out...

Speaking of Ys, the Origin version of Termination is amazing. I might turn it on loop next time I make it to Access. The sounds themselves might not seem like they fit, but the scale and pacing should really suit the tension.

Not the right instruments, but yeah that one's good for its epicness. I love Ys music--been listening to it since the 90s. (One of the first game music cassette tapes I made was recording Ys on the SNES :P) Falcon JDK has some other good non-Ys CDs, too.

But Ys/JDK does end up being a lot of the same stuff over and over again. Sometimes wish they'd mix it up a bit more. Nonetheless, the Origin OST was a really nice job.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »

Holy shit yes, Kung Fury was the best movie ever. Coming from me that either means a lot or very little because I hardly watch anything. It's only 30 minutes, just make some popcorn grab the wife and sit down, it's amazing. I've already watched it 3 times and have designs to watch it another one or two times, depending on how things go.

Edit: To stay on topic, I'm really fond of bizarre electronic music. IMO the stranger the better. For Cogmind?... Tough question. I feel like I need some retro 8-bit dark-and-synthy beats with strong ambient elements... I don't know if I have anything that fits that bill, haha. 'Monolake' does some great ambient, we'll let 'Telefon Tel Aviv' bring the melody and mood, and a sprinkling of 'Binarpilot' to give us the 8-bit robotic grooves.

Double Edit: As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to build my favorite electronic music playlist ever and then break my 5-day hiatus on Cogmind.

Triple Edit: Chris Christodolou, who did the OST for 'Risk of Rain', did an *amazing* job. Same with Darren Korb, who did the soundtracks for 'Bastion' and 'Transistor'. Oh my god that man is a musical deity. Also, Danny Baranowski's music made me buy Super Meat Boy for the soundtrack alone. Seriously - I heard the music and bought the game, and then found out it was an amazing game. And obligatory 'EVE Online' soundtrack shout-out. So good.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:41:37 PM by biomatter »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »

Holy shit yes, Kung Fury was the best movie ever. Coming from me that either means a lot or very little because I hardly watch anything. It's only 30 minutes, just make some popcorn grab the wife and sit down, it's amazing. I've already watched it 3 times and have designs to watch it another one or two times, depending on how things go.
I already bookmarked it and plan to watch it over lunch today :D. It has quite the awesome IMDB rating and obviously comes highly recommended, so I'm sure it'll be a blast.

binaerpilot has some really nice electronic tunes.

Later in the year when we have many more maps done we'll start hearing what Cogmind's OST might sound like. Too early yet to worry about that, so for now we can all just play whatever we like =p.

Supernovadx

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling PPPPPP the soundtrack of VVVVVV fits perfectly with the theme of this game. I like the Sci-Fi nature of the soundtrack and it matches the Terminal graphic aesthetic.

Link: http://souleye.se/pppppp
-SupernovaDX

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »

Ha! Yes! That's a good one too. I put it in my mega-electro playlist. There are so many artists and albums I forget about...

Supernovadx

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 03:59:09 PM »

Also Recently what I've been doing is throwing on Pandora and playing a Martin O'Donnel playlist. He makes the soundtracks for Halo, that also seems to fit pretty well.
-SupernovaDX

Jiyva

• Derelict
    • View Profile
The music I listen when playing Cogmind
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »

I found the EVE Online Soundtrack fit very well with the atmosphere in Cogmind. Their music has a flavor of mystery, science fiction and suspense. All their music are distributed for free at Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/ccpgames/sets/eve-online-in-game-tracks

My persona favorite are:
 Tomorrow's Neverending Yesterday
 Love, Honour, and Obey
 Do You Know Where You Are?
 Home at Last
 Something Old, Something New
 I Saw Your Ship
 ...But Still We Go On
 All Which Was Lost Has Now Been Regained
 Theme From Jita
 The Solitary Pilot

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »

(Necromerged :P)

I still like to use Deus Ex, although mostly play without music these days because now I stream almost all my runs.

We've had a lot of new people suggesting music in chat though, a lot of sci-fi stuff of course :)

I'll have to check out the EVE OST this week! (have played before, but don't recall the music)

Jiyva

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 08:11:34 PM »

(Necromerged :P)

I still like to use Deus Ex, although mostly play without music these days because now I stream almost all my runs.

We've had a lot of new people suggesting music in chat though, a lot of sci-fi stuff of course :)

I'll have to check out the EVE OST this week! (have played before, but don't recall the music)

Protoss theme in Starcraft is a nice fit too :)

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 03:39:15 AM »

I'm new to the forum as of like, a couple hours, and new to the game as of this week.  But uh, here's what I'm listening to while I play atm, which feels like it... fits:

https://audiosyntax.bandcamp.com/album/yellow-xhakrik-rhizoma-pt-3

That whole series of Color EPs is pretty great, imho.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:27:50 PM by Trione »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 12:35:50 AM »

Heh, just used this and yeah it works well! (My own go-to is still Deus Ex every time, it's essentially become my "Cogmind OST" at this point :P)

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »

Heh, just used this and yeah it works well! (My own go-to is still Deus Ex every time, it's essentially become my "Cogmind OST" at this point :P)

Noice

I'll have to check out some of the recommendations here when I have a bit to get into it.

Edit:  Just stopping by to report the Eve Soundtrack is a pretty good fit.  Long playlist with a mostly good aesthetic and pacing for the game :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:33:12 PM by Trione »