Grid Sage Forums

• April 26, 2024, 02:03:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Sometimes you get lucky  (Read 1392 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Sometimes you get lucky
« on: February 23, 2018, 07:50:26 PM »

... and the complex totally destroys your plans.

I started off this run intending to do a trapping build, with some questions in the forums about how rewiring traps work and hopes of finding or hacking schematics for a Trap Extractor. I had seen Valguris use traps to great effect in his stream but more importantly, my gallery is only at 85% and I figure getting all the trap items must be good for at least another percent or two. :)

Well, my hacking build went pretty much out the window by -5, with my flight units blown off, sensors gone (though I still had the processors to go with them) and I decided to go to a branch that I knew led to more hackware.

The rest is increasingly spoilerific:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lessons learned:
Adaptation is the key to victory. It may be fun to try to stick with a certain build but it also makes the game a lot harder. Now that I'm more familiar with what's necessary, combat certainly has many more useful utilities than hacking -- in hacking if you don't find the few things you need you're sunk. In particular hacking suites but for trapping you also need a trap extractor and probably a datajack and significant storage. (I do wonder if disarming traps from a terminal is enough to be able to extract them, but I wasn't able to try it.) And if you lose them your build is busted. In combat all sorts of utilities can make your build more survivable and it is considerably easier to find replacements. I had a couple Imp. Weapon Cyclers that lasted for quite a while and they made a very noticeable difference.

Also, combat can be a lot more fun for some reason. :)

I certainly lucked out with several nice caches of hover units.

Paying attention to your integrity, energy, and matter is quite important. The warnings flashing in the middle of the screen are nice but I find them hard to read before they disappear in the middle of everything else going on in a combat. I paid more careful attention to what I had equipped and how well it was doing this time, and it appears it paid off.

Scoresheet:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Sometimes you get lucky
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:50:20 PM »

Combat has its perks in terms of fun :). Regarding your score, it's lower because you didn't destroy that many robots compared to a normal full-combat win, less than 200 as opposed to the usual 400~800. That and you can also really rack up bonus points by doing a lot of the destruction at higher alert levels, but you got less than 1k bonus points there.

decided to fool around a bit with the Bs (following Kyzrati's example) and left.
I love doing that, since you're already relatively safe and get to play with them when in general they're usually best avoided :)

Regarding your special weapon finds, while P is good and I agree the OC is not great, once you learn how to use PotCan they are easily one of the best weapons in the game, preferable over even P.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon