Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 04:29:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #111 [Beta 5] [Seed: StrategicWarBeam]  (Read 1688 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #111 [Beta 5] [Seed: StrategicWarBeam]
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:59:15 AM »

This week's seed: StrategicWarBeam

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: StrategicWarBeam] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Airus

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #111 [Beta 5] [Seed: StrategicWarBeam]
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:36:38 PM »

Fun run with an epic fail end:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Score: 10328

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 12:09:21 AM »

Oh wow truly an epic fail end xD. So close!

And welcome, Airus! We've seen you high on the leaderboards but you were one of the few players up there who hadn't shown up in the community yet :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Airus

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:47:46 PM »

Hello and thank you! I'm glad to join the community:)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 06:29:30 AM »

Wow this was a great seed. I chose to try it as a pure wheel combat run to see what that might be like, touching absolutely nothing but wheels, and this seed sure turned out to be perfect for it with Arm. Wheels and Arm. Huge Wheel finds near the beginning that carried for half the run.

I also spent the first few floors with nothing but shotguns just point-blanking everything, and even jumped into a chute on purpose since I knew I could outrun the Crushers.

I was going to avoid the caves because I was afraid of losing for lack of wheels (this is a pure wheels run--never touched any other propulsion at all!), but did end up mistakenly entering one at -5 anyway. I planned to cut back as soon as possible, but it wasn't long before I got a shortcut to Zion, so I decided why not... Went and got imprinted while also picking up some spoilery special gear:
I've never had both of those items at once, so of course I had to try that out (right in the middle of my wheels run xD). It was a fun strategy just bombing everything, and that carried me all the way into -3.

I spent a fairly large amount of time in -3 and didn't have any good leads, so decided to make a run for the Testing exit revealed by Derelict intel all the way on the other side of the floor. I was kinda afraid of Testing (wheels combat...) and beat up by the time I got there, but immediately found some OP gear and had nothing to fear :D

I really didn't want to get scanned so I was extra careful in Testing, and that worked out okay, although I confused myself as to where the exit could be and ended up crossing the entire map back and forth three times while both avoiding Researchers and trying to find it :P

Back in -2 I one-shot this Behemoth.
And not long after that another came through a wall. That one took two shots to bring down, and wow this -2 layout was deadly. I ended up getting surrounded and killing all the pursuers, but there were dozens traveling through that little area I was in. It got hectic and I lost my favorite weapon (both). Fortunately I also had another superweapon I'd picked up in Testing (Perf.), and that really made a mess of the place. Was quite nice.

I probably would've won this run had I not been doing wheels (there was other great propulsion everywhere, of course), but eventually I ran out of wheels in all this fighting. I was mostly a low-armor combat build in the latter half, which obviously doesn't work well with wheels. I did have a shield for a while, which worked great with all that energy, but there was too much destruction far too early in -2 and I triggered high security just as I lost my last wheel. So I dropped everything and made a run for it but couldn't find an exit.

A little Zion help plus the Fusion Bombs I was still carrying kept me alive for a while, but you really need to have some kind of lead for exits from Research to have a decent chance of getting out, and I hadn't worked on that!

Overall a pretty neat run full of interesting situations, wish I'd streamed that one...

Spoiler: Score: 30,816 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »

My seed run is still in progress. Will hopefully finish it before Beta 6 :P