Grid Sage Forums

• April 25, 2024, 08:38:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Delay in game registering loss of signal interpreter  (Read 861 times)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Delay in game registering loss of signal interpreter
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:38:13 AM »

So this is a tiny one.  I was in caves with a flight build, sensors, and a signal interpreter.  I was moving fast, about 374% or so.  I was doing some digging and a cave-in destroyed my signal interpreter.  On my screen, I could still see nearby robots that were out of sight represented by their tile as opposed to the "?" mark.  I moved about 2 more spaces and could still see their tile.  After a third move or so, they became question marks.

What I suspect happened is that since I was moving so fast, the game still showed their tile on the turn that signal interpreter was lost, and only switched to show the "?" after a game turn passed.

Like I said, very minor issue (if I'm in fact right about what I observed, I wasn't in a position to reproduce) 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Delay in game registering loss of signal interpreter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:56:03 AM »

There shouldn't be any bug here--sounds like normal behavior. Sensor and interpreter information only updates once per turn, on the turn, while it still retains and displays your last known data from the scan (which was accurate and known at that point). It doesn't check if you've lost the ability to scan, since that doesn't matter until your current data expires.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »

Got it.  It was odd to briefly still see bots without the SI, but the explanation makes sense.  Figured I should flag it just in case. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »

Certainly I could put a check on it and have you lose the data as soon as you have no relevant sensors, though as stated technically the info could still be valid and you'd remember it anyway, so may as well keep it around until the end of the turn for which it applies. You're just moving too fast* :)

Sometimes I do change legitimate mechanics if too many people report them as a "bug," although this is the first mention of this particular one despite it having been this way for years :P

*Aside: Are you not using Tactical HUD mode, Happylisk? Surprised to see a veteran reporting speed as a percent.

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:03:47 AM »

I tend to play games as is out of the box without fiddling with the options.  Some cogmind players are super analytical - not me!  I only get anywhere through a bloody mixture of luck and attrition.  I don't even look at item stats, usually make equipment decisions based on ratings alone. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »

Same, I make a lot of decisions based on rating--it's a pretty good indicator :)

But flipping the Tactical HUD switch basically turns the UI from beginner settings to experienced rogueliker mode. One of the changes is that robot speeds (including yours) will be represented in actual time units, rather than a percentage. There's a dozen other changes listed in the manual, lots of stuff you might find useful even while just bumbling through 0b10 :P