Cogmind > Strategies

Proposed in-manual list of "survival tips"

<< < (2/3) > >>

DDarkray:
From what I've seen in a couple of Let's Play, some players believe that when you're starting to get traced (at 0%), the enemies are coming. There's actually no consequence at getting 0%, so I would say that it's safe to keep hacking. Once your trace progress is over 0%, you can choose to jack out to be safe.

I think it's ok to mention about killing neutral bots such as excavators and serfs if you're not in danger and have some empty inventory slots. That way, you can get some parts like power source, propulsions and utilities (which reinforces your statement of having full inventory and equipment slots whenever possible).

It would be ok to mention that on later evolution, upgrading weapon and utility slots are ok too, but you generally don't upgrade your power slot until you're starting to have trouble with energy upkeep.

Instead of saying "don't use wheels", you can say something like "avoid wheels when there are other propulsions out there". That way, it would be ok to pick them up as backups... (But then, that probably rarely happens)

--- Quote ---Note some of these tips can and will be ignored by advanced players for various reasons
--- End quote ---

I personally prefer to say something like, "As you gain more experience, you may ignore some of these tips".

I like how you labeled scavengers as "enemies".  :D

--- Quote ---Maybe mention that you can get out of depth loot by killing haulers? Getting your hands on stuff like imp. EM shotguns, adv. beam cannons and imp. assault rifle almost trivializes Materials when combined with the choke strategy.
--- End quote ---

I agree that these awesome items are very powerful, but it can cause the players to focus too much on chasing down the hauler (which isn't very easy to kill) before finding themselves in a terrible position. It's also probably not that important to a beginner because it doesn't guarantee a good loot.

It might also be a good idea to mention something about the operator. When the operator spots you and it calls down a reinforcement, it would be a good idea to stay away from that area or prepare to fight.

Kyzrati:
Okay, I've made updates to the Tips based on all the feedback.

--- Quote from: DDarkray on September 20, 2017, 09:41:26 PM ---Instead of saying "don't use wheels",

--- End quote ---
Funnily enough, wheels are no longer super terrible in next week's 2.2 ;)

(But I'm still going to recommend against beginners using them.)

--- Quote from: DDarkray on September 20, 2017, 09:41:26 PM ---I like how you labeled scavengers as "enemies".  :D

--- End quote ---
The most dangerous kind... the ones that are inconspicuously green and don't even carry guns!

I feel the Hauler tip is a little borderline, for beginners at least. DDarkRay makes a good point there, too. They're kinda dangerous to mess with until you know what you're doing (plus it might be for nothing).

For now I've added a comment in the new version, though, just to see how it looks...

--- Quote from: DDarkray on September 20, 2017, 09:41:26 PM ---It might also be a good idea to mention something about the operator. When the operator spots you and it calls down a reinforcement, it would be a good idea to stay away from that area or prepare to fight.

--- End quote ---
I wonder how necessary this is... The log will say they've called reinforcements, and while it's true there are more details to learn about how that works (that they come to the area, not necessarily you), this kind of information might be something to leave to them figuring out? In Materials a beginner is very likely to run into the reinforcements anyway, because there aren't as many pathways to get away, and the map is smaller so they'll arrive pretty quickly.

DDarkray:

--- Quote ---Funnily enough, wheels are no longer super terrible in next week's 2.2 ;)
--- End quote ---

No way, wheels are getting buffed?? :O
Looks like wheel build is becoming more viable.

--- Quote ---I wonder how necessary this is...
--- End quote ---

I guess it isn't necessary. Pretty easy to figure out.

Any mention about branches, specifically the Mines? I'm not sure what's the survival rate down there, but I can guarantee that the Assembly encounter will almost always wreck any beginners.

Kyzrati:
Wheel builds will definitely be viable now--they've got their own niche and everything :)

Sure in Alpha the Mines would be something to warn against, but they're not so bad anymore. Getting potentially wrecked by a single encounter is fine in the beginning of a roguelike, and even more good stuff than bad can come out of the Mines now--I wouldn't want to steer new players away from the first interesting encounters, ally experiences, the Zion shortcut...

DDarkray:

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on September 21, 2017, 06:46:35 AM ---Wheel builds will definitely be viable now--they've got their own niche and everything :)
--- End quote ---
YEZZZ!!!

For the Assembled event, I'm wondering if it's better to place it near the exit, instead of the entrance point (which tends to happen all the time for me). That way, you'll still guarantee to encounter it, but you'll have some time to rebuild yourself before it happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version