Cogmind > Strategies

Proposed in-manual list of "survival tips"

<< < (3/3)

Shadowfury333:
I know this is kinda the opposite, but maybe putting in a section about "when you've died and don't know it yet" so that new players know to just restart from a losing position, rather than spending 500-1000 turns desperately looking for some pile of parts to save them, and then dying even more frustrated because they didn't get lucky (I've gotten lucky this way once out of at least 6 or 7 runs where I lost everything around -7 or -6 Lower Caves, and I was in the Lower Caves because I'm still not sure where Factory->Factory exits tend to be).

Kyzrati:
I think such a point is too hard to define to be of enough use for a new player, since aside from the obvious "I have no parts, next to zero core, and am now surrounded by fast movers" you can come back from almost anything. The last full run I saved from a stream included more than one instance in which I was "clearly done for," a point at which most players might want to give up, but even then it was possible to turn it around (and eventually win).

I think the best approach is to just provide tips that reduce the chances of getting into such a position in the first place and let players either figure everything else out on their own, or rely on strategy guides.

(Despite my experience I still end up in those situations myself a fair amount because I enjoy being in them and finding a way out, so I play pretty recklessly :P)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version