Cogmind > Ideas

Challenge Modes

<< < (2/16) > >>

zxc:

--- Quote from: Raine on February 09, 2017, 06:02:10 PM ---Maybe a mode where your parts cannot be destroyed? I know this totally ruins the balance and a can't think of a good drawback to balance it out, but it might be a good "super easy casual mode". I guess maybe this kinda direction is gonna be covered in the difficulty levels you are implementing? (I think I heard something about easy mode parts having much more integrity)

--- End quote ---

Yeah I don't think that by itself will work because it'd be impossible to lose. However, it relates to one of my suggestions:

* Cored (Core has 100% coverage at all times), maybe apply to enemies as well

With this, parts will never take damage. Your core will take it all. I suspect it would be more difficult rather than less difficult, though. Cores don't have much integrity.

Raine:
Oh yeah that's a much better way of implementing it  ;D

I also particularly like the idea of these

--- Quote ---Melee only
Guarded (no patrols, but all exits have impressive defenses) (riffing on ideas from Dark below)
* All main complex maps (Materials, Factory, Research, Access) have only one exit. And that exit is always at the most opposite side of the map!

--- End quote ---

Amphouse:
Personal thoughts:

I like the general idea but I prefer modifiers that are not strictly handicaps, but rather make you play differently. It's okay if they make the game overall harder, but they should do something good IMO.  For example, what if Unstable Evolution gave you an extra (randomly distributed, can get double something) evolution point every other level? (every level would make it too easy. you are still limited by max number of slots too) As for scavenger, what if you took it all the way: there are no floor drops at all(except on -11), but enemies always drop everything they have(damaged by the amount you damaged it though, and part frying would still be a thing). If that's too much, keep the current scavenger but give all weapons/the player an innate salvage boost.

Now, with that said, if you do want these to be strictly handicaps meant to challenge the best players, then at least have them give score boosts?

Also, I really like the "stair boss" challenge idea that darkray had. It should be possible since stair locking is already a thing in garrisons. (Or you could use the red locked branch stairs, not sure what's easier) It doesn't always have to be a sentry either, although it should scale in strength inversely with depth. (and if it drops good loot than it's not strictly a downside either :P)

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: Amphouse on February 14, 2017, 07:04:48 PM ---I prefer modifiers that are not strictly handicaps, but rather make you play differently.

--- End quote ---
While yes these are handicaps, they do make you play differently, fairly significantly so with the two cases already given! That's certainly how I intend for them to be.

--- Quote from: Amphouse on February 14, 2017, 07:04:48 PM ---Now, with that said, if you do want these to be strictly handicaps meant to challenge the best players, then at least have them give score boosts?

--- End quote ---
Hm, I seem to have left that out of the OP, but yes, there is a rather significant score boost for each challenge you apply! That was part of the point, oops xD (okay, no, now that I look at it it's in the second sentence, I just didn't go into detail)

For example, as I have it now you get an extra +500 points each time you evolve when Unstable. Or +1000 in Scavenger mode alone.

(And note: I'm not really commenting on the other ideas at the moment because I'm not ready to implement more yet, but just wanted this to be a place where we could gather concepts for future discussion!)

DDarkray:
Are the challenge modes unlocked at the very start (when you first play Cogmind), or are they unlocked after attaining certain achievements (like after reaching the surface)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version