Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 05:59:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Benefits of Hacking  (Read 4534 times)

Baltazar

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Benefits of Hacking
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:54:53 PM »

So I often plug myself into terminals when I come across them (as long as those fuckin' Operators don't get there first, of course) and I can see some benefits from the small amount of times I've been successful at hacking into the system. However, I don't quite grasp the major benefits of fitting a specialty hacking rig.

Is there anyone out there who has done a run-through devoted to being the Acid Burn of robuts? Care to share your experiences? I'd love to hear some pointers on what you can do, what to look out for, or what to focus on gear-wise.

I often see options of which I don't understand the import. Anyone have a breakdown on what repercussions all of the commands create? I imagine I'd get the picture pretty quick if I saw some text in the game log stating "Alert level has risen" or something, but I never can really tell if I need to reduce the alert level before I've spent five attempts checking the alert level (and what does it change anyway?).

~Balt~

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
Re: Benefits of Hacking
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:07:58 PM »

On my stealth runs I always grab as many Hacking Suites as I can, because 'Access(Main)' is a god-tier command. It'll show you where all the stairs are! I don't care so much for Masks or Decoys, though. Access(Main) has a phenomenally low chance of success, so boosting that is more important than not getting caught, which is naturally high. Besides, failed hacks aren't important - there's always another Terminal just around the bend ;)

Baltazar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »

Does failing a hack horribly bring robuts down upon you? Sometimes it seems like when I get traced at enough terminals death soon follows.

~Balt~

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:11:42 PM »

There are a variety of penalties for failing a hack - the most annoying of which is gaining +1% corruption! So like, uh, don't fail. I always (try to) stop before it locks me out. I don't know what other penalties there are, but presumably 'summon enemies to terminal location' is one of them. I wouldn't know - I jet around at supersonic speeds with sensors for miles, so I'm never hanging around to find out ;)

Baltazar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »

I would love to pick your brain concerning any compiled list of manual hack commands you've accumulated. Any info?

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:23:38 PM »

Heehee! Like jimjam said, we'll compile a list soon. As soon as my current run dies I'm going to start doing runs dedicated to information gathering. I'll be taking screenshots of mob stats, running commands just for the hell of it, etc. You'll hear from us soon enough ;D

Asa7

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:10:46 PM »

Heehee! Like jimjam said, we'll compile a list soon. As soon as my current run dies I'm going to start doing runs dedicated to information gathering. I'll be taking screenshots of mob stats, running commands just for the hell of it, etc. You'll hear from us soon enough ;D

From Reddit /r/Cogmind

Fabricator
Build
Builds the loaded schematic. Will not work if nothing is loaded.
Load(PARTNAME)
This command is used to load a schematic that you know into the machine. Unfortunately, it does not work on schematics you haven't downloaded ;)
Recycling Unit
Recycle(PARTNAME)
Recycles a part from your inventory into matter. Be wary of the fact that the collected matter is taken into the machine!
Report(Matter)
Outputs the amount of matter currently in the machine.
Retrieve(Matter)
Outputs the matter currently in the machine.

Repair Station
Refit
If you have below X number of slots filled, fills those slots with backup cores, hover pads, and lasers. On one of the later levels I think I got three cores and hover pads, so the amount is variable based on depth, probably.
Repair
Repairs a scanned part. Takes time to complete. Don't just start a repair and run away without your part! I did... If this step fails, your part might be damaged beyond use, so use responsibly.
Scan(PARTNAME)
Scans a part from your inventory into the machine so it can be repaired.

Scanalyzer
Insert(PARTNAME)
Loads a part from your inventory into the machine so it can be scanned.
Scanalyze
Downloads a schematic to your memory based on the part. Schematics are used with matter at a Fabricator to build copies. This step can damage your part beyond use, so use responsibly.

Terminal
Ah, the main course. Here we get into the meaty stuff. This is the section I need the most help on.
Access(Branch)
This command will give you the locations of any Branch stairwells. Because we are in Alpha 1, most of the Branch stairs don't work, so this command is not useful (yet).
Access(Emergency)
This command will scan a small radius around you and highlight any 'emergency' doorways, a.k.a. hidden doors. I don't mean to start making judgement calls, but it's not very useful because the sweep radius is too small - something like 25~40 blocks.
Access(Main)
My personal favorite, this one will download the locations of all main stairways on the current floor. Very difficult hack but cathartic when it succeeds.
Alert(Check)
Outputs the current security level of the floor. Use to quantify how much trouble you've been up to.
Alert(Purge)
Lowers the current security level of the floor, presumably one step at a time.
Analysis(BOTNAME)
Gives a little bio on a unit. BOTNAME must be exact, e.g. 'Analysis(M-28 Smith)'. You cannot just type in Mechanic.
Control(Machines)
Attempts to sabotage a machine elsewhere on the map, i.e. a fusion reactor. If successful the machine detonates, drawing attention (perhaps away from you). Can also be used multiple times AFAIK.
Enumerate(Assaults)
Enumerate(Exterminations)
Enumerate(Maintenance)
Enumerate(Squads)
Enumerate(Transport)
This one has many possible states. It will give you the current location of the targets. 'Assaults', 'Exterminations', and 'Squads' are all combat unit-related. 'Maintenance' will give you the location of Mechanics. 'Transport' will tell you where the haulers are ('a' and 'A'). How useful this information is is variable.
Index(Fabricators)
Index(Repair Units)
Index(Terminals)
Index(Scanalyzers)
Index(Recycling Units)
Use this to gain the locations of all requested devices. There is a discrepancy between what we know as 'Repair Stations' being called 'Repair Units' on the command, and same with 'Recycling Units'.
Index(Machines)
Downloads coordinate data for ALL machines on the current floor.
Inventory(Components)
Lists stockpiles and their locations. They get marked on your radar.
Inventory(Prototypes)
Lists prototypes and their locations. These get marked on your radar.
Manifests
Displays data on what haulers are hauling. Will NOT give you the locations on the haulers.
Prototypes
Downloads data on prototypes. I have not lived to test this, but presumably when you come across the pile of them you will be able to tell what they are at a glance (i.e. 'Imp. EM Shotgun', not 'Prototype Energy Weapon'). Of note: this command only gives you info on a few prototypes. It must be used multiple times if you want comprehensive information.
Query(NAME)
Downloads a text article on your subject. Viewed on Terminals as "Record [Earth]" and such. Presumably this command can be used in innumerable ways - Kryzati seems to have created quite the lorebook. My interest is piqued!
Recall(Assault)
Recall(Extermination)
Recalls the given squad. Heck, there's probably a 'Recall(Squad)' command too, but until I verify it I'm not listing it. What does recall mean, anyways? Do they disappear off the map instantly? I once saw a C-30 Carrier go up the stairs. 2SPOOKY
Schematic(NAME)
The golden goose. Use this command to attempt to download the target schematic. This can be used even on parts you haven't seen - I once downloaded 'Biomechanical Wings' on floor -8, even though that's an item I discovered on -3. It gets better: use this to download schematics on bots too. Again, you have to know the exact name (e.g. 'P-80 Sage'), but that's a given at this point. Someone try to fab me a 'B-99 Colossus' and let me know how that goes. Basically, if you've seen a screenshot of it, you can download it (subject to the usual whims of hacking, of course).
Congratulations! You are now computer-literate. I repeat, if you have any additional information, please drop a comment either here or on the Grid Sage Forums and I will update this ASAP. I might have made a mistake somewhere, or there may be other hidden uses to commands.