Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 05:40:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Taking on large groups  (Read 3369 times)

WeberO

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • One more run...
    • View Profile
Taking on large groups
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »

How do you guys deal with large groups of bots?

I usually try to lure them around a corner, so I can limit my incoming fire as much as possible. Unless of course I have an explosive weapon, in which case I blow them into oblivion. And an upside to luring them around a corner, is that it seems they sometimes accidentally hit other bots, which just makes it less for me.

In one of my most recent runs I was swarmed by many pests and mercs, and had to pick up their weapons to continue the fight. It really stinks when you see that awful red text "Grenade Launcher Destroyed".

Karlito

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Taking on large groups
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:17:16 PM »

If I'm lacking a grenade launcher, my strategy so far has been to run away and hope I find a staircase. The crowds of nonhostile bots can provide some cover in the larger hallways.

Draxis

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Also known as Dessard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »

I try to find a 1-tile corridor, and settle for a doorway or even corner if there isn't one; unless I'm at least Fast x2, running never seems to work out, just get me shot and increase the number of chasers.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »

I'm with Draxis on this one.  A one tile corridor is perfect as long as there isn't another way around.

Another strategy that has worked for me is to lure the group to a power generator (or something similar) and blow it up.  You can usually be right inside the blast zone and still survive, but lower level enemies (levels -10 to -6) will usually die or be near dead.  I even had one situation where a Sentry just shut down after the explosion.  I then rewired the bot by bumping into it repeatedly and when it came to I had a Sentry as an ally :)  I had no hackware at the time.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:16:07 AM »

I then rewired the bot by bumping into it repeatedly and when it came to I had a Sentry as an ally :)  I had no hackware at the time.
Haha! That's insane - what the fuck? I would never do that. The side effects of bumping even the little shits like Serfs can be disastrous. Good job, though.

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 07:43:33 AM »

I then rewired the bot by bumping into it repeatedly and when it came to I had a Sentry as an ally :)  I had no hackware at the time.
Haha! That's insane - what the fuck? I would never do that. The side effects of bumping even the little shits like Serfs can be disastrous. Good job, though.
Lucky for you! When you're rewiring you don't deal or take damage. So you can bump a deactivated bot to your heart's content.