Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 10:56:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #15 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Mystery Tunnel]  (Read 3616 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #15 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Mystery Tunnel]
« on: November 10, 2015, 06:53:58 AM »

What will you find at the end of it?

This week's seed: Mystery Tunnel

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Mystery Tunnel] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #15 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Mystery Tunnel]
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »

Not too shabby.

The run down:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The morgue:

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »

>> sorry for the double-post but there were too many signs
     (hope you see the plan behind..)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:16:19 AM by Enno »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:26:35 AM »

Argh, Happylisk just beat me :)

I'm pretty sure I'd have done better if* I hadn't decided to suddenly stream my seed run on Twitch. First time doing that; decided to stream it suddenly and quickly got OBS set up and running seemingly well enough. (*I'm also not as good at playing with tiles rather than ASCII, but I figured the former was better for streaming.)

While I don't think the game got significantly easier with 4b, I could tell it was a little easier. Still lots of pressure in the mid/late-game. I might've just been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but on three separate floors I ran into bottlenecks where battle after battle occurred without any respite.

The first two times I weathered them nicely, but the third happened in an open area where I had no explosives and got worn down. That was -4/Factory where I fell...

On the way caused spectacular explosions and used them to take out a lot of evil robots, and on one floor later found the exit with only 51 integrity remaining, right when I'd pissed them off enough that they were sending both Programmers and an Assault squad.

Spoiler: Score sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:28:23 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:50 AM »

*awesome story*

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:56:12 AM »

[...]decided to stream my seed run on Twitch[...]
did you make a video too and can you upload it ?
 it would be very nice to see how the developer himself plays his own 'game'

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 02:03:52 AM »

did you make a video too and can you upload it ?
 it would be very nice to see how the developer himself plays his own 'game'
I'm guessing that has to be a setting in Twitch? I didn't do that myself. I think they store videos for a while there, though to get it on YouTube I'd have to actually store and upload the video... I didn't do anything but fire up OBS and start playing, so I don't even know if it recorded! Would be pretty long, though, not all that great for YouTube at a couple hours.

I can do another stream again next time, maybe :). I'll certainly do it if others will show up, since I need to playtest anyway.

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 02:28:06 AM »

I can do another stream again next time
the problem to watch this stream is the timezone but i guess the day will come.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 04:17:51 AM »

Well, yeah, time zones are a problem, and it would be impossible to accommodate everyone. Just an idea that if some were able to make it that might be a fun idea to continue with.

Glad you like the hack. I can see it being more useful on later floors as a quick solution, for sure. There are yet more unannounced garrison hacks :)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 05:18:11 AM »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 06:45:36 AM »

Hahahahahahahahahaha...

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 03:56:34 AM »

My run was going well, and I figured I'd try equipping a datajack instead of my usual melee weapon. At some point I'm chased into a dead-end room, and there are a few grunts behind me. I realise a good tactic would be to reboot the first one to buy me time to switch to my RL and escape. I reboot the first one, who is blocking the doorway, or so I thought. I try flying over but it prompts something to do with re-wiring the robot. So instead I position myself to blast a hole in the wall, and suddenly the grunts behind the rebooting one are right next to me, blasting my items to bits. The other grunt is still rebooting, blocking my escape. Run ended shortly after.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 04:11:58 AM »

Aw, too bad you had to discover it under those circumstances :(. As per our emails I'm looking at and fixing this now. The main issue is normally when you move into a robot, rewiring takes priority over flight passage. I'll have to allow it to detect flight and override the failure message in that case, letting you past anyway.