• April 29, 2024, 05:32:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Poll

Will you be going in sneaky beaky like, Or guns a blazing?

Stealth all the way!
- 2 (10%)
Shoot 'em up!
- 7 (35%)
Depends on the situation.
- 11 (55%)
Other (What other styles are there?)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Play Style  (Read 4230 times)

WeberO

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • One more run...
    • View Profile
Play Style
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »

How will you COGMINDs be approaching your adventures?

brevous

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Play Style
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »

I've tried a heft handful of both run-n-gun and stealth. I'm not too good at stealth yet, but it's really quite fun when I get a couple good utilities and a good prop system going. I always mess up though. One of my most fun runs was when I found a cache of drone utility units, and (I don't know if this was a bug) I could equip one, then un-equip it, then equip the next one, and each time I did this I would get two drones. I ended up romping through a couple levels with about a dozen drones in tow. I really look forward to getting to the part of the game more frequently when cool modules like this are more frequent.

As far as running and gunning, one of my best runs used a couple targeting modules and some fancy laser cannon things I can't remember the names of. I was one or two shotting most everything until I finally got swarmed really bad.

What about you, OP?

WeberO

• Unaware
  • One more run...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »

I've only put about 20 minutes into the same so far, just got about 30 minutes ago, still on my first run. But so far I'm really liking playing it like a tactical shooter. I just found my first terminal to hack, after getting swarmed by mercenaries because I couldn't dispatch the scout in time. This game just has so much that I haven't even skimmed through yet. I will get back to you when I have more time logged. Thanks for reply!

Draxis

• Unaware
  • Also known as Dessard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:39:26 AM »

I always try to play stealthy, but haven't managed to get very far with it more than once - I always seem to get in a fight I can't avoid and draw all sorts of attention, and then be forced to go shooty.

ThKaspar

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
  • The Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:31:30 PM »

It might not seem like the most sophisticated strategy but while I also play stealthy (I think there is not really an option to play Cogmind fully non-stealthy) I try to find as many explosive weapons as I can, as fast as I can.
After that I sneak around as long as I can and If someone spots me I start blowing everything up until he's gone. :D

Blunt but fun, sadly I didn't help me to get further than the third level.  :(

Also I don't recommend relying strongly on miner weapons that allow you to dig through the walls - It will get you killed quickly on further levels.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:33:01 PM by ThKaspar »

thrAsher

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »

I can't help but play it like I'm a bot with a deathwish. I do try and draw my enemies into close encounters, but I find myself flying into the midst of things and going toe to toe a lot. I will drop anything for flight modules, and have been enjoying cannons and beams for the most part. If I evolve an extra weapons slot, I like to sub a melee weapon for a ranged weapon and draw my targets into rooms or around corners for quick kills. I also have it in for scavengers and will kill them on sight just on principle. Thieving miscreants.

WeberO

• Unaware
  • One more run...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »

I also have it in for scavengers and will kill them on sight just on principle. Thieving miscreants.
This. This right here.

ozymandias79

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 08:26:41 AM »

Stealthy seems to be the way to go, but when I get my hands on a rocket launcher it's hard to resist wreaking destruction. I have been trying faster, stealthier builds also wings are nice. Its tricky to be stealthy early on.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »

Stealthy seems to be the way to go, but when I get my hands on a rocket launcher it's hard to resist wreaking destruction. I have been trying faster, stealthier builds also wings are nice. Its tricky to be stealthy early on.

Stealthy is certainly the way to go if you want to give yourself a good chance to "complete" the game, however I'm finding the scores I'm getting are substantially lower.  For example, biomatter made it to level -1 with a score of 4691 whereas in my highest scoring run I only made it -5 but with a total score of 7410.  I wonder what the bonus score is for making it out? (if there even is one and maybe there shouldn't be!).  If your goal is to have some presence in the Highscores total stealth might not be the answer.