Cogmind > Competitions

High Scores and Stats

<< < (7/7)

Kyzrati:
Big move from Beta 10 to Beta 11, calling for a big stat article filled with graphs, charts, and numbers :)

Kyzrati:
Beta 12 Stat Summary

Beta 13 is out, leaderboards have been reset, time to examine some stats from the previous version! Our last huge stat review was done after Beta 11, in 2023 here on the blog, and that being an important milestone with regard to balance, that particular review was quite extensive. This time I'll be looking at somewhat fewer categories, but it's still nice to see where certain aspects stand, especially any newer features.

Beta 12 leaderboards have been archived here, with scoresheets for all runs available here.

During Beta 12 "Encrypted Comms" (March 2023 ~ Feb 2024), 790 unique players submitted 8,592 runs that met the minimum threshold for inclusion. 296 (3.4%) of those were played in a special or challenge mode (a lower percentage than last time (8%) since no new modes were released during Beta 12), leaving us with 8,296 runs for our data analysis. (There are also many prerelease runs by patrons, but those are excluded as well, since the version is still in flux at that point.)

Wins

The overall win rate was 4.7%, so fairly middling as far as historical stats go.

Among the 7,143 Rogue-level runs (86.1%), 97 (16.5%) unique players earned at least one Beta 12 win, seemingly confirming that the increase in that metric following the Beta 11 rebalance is here to stay. Maybe it will reverse down again next time in Beta 13 with the influx of new and returning players now that we have map zooming and the new upscaled UI layouts? We'll see, but for now it looks like Beta 11 did indeed have a sizeable impact on winnability, perhaps making it a bit easier for some (?)... or our sample size is still too small to draw conclusions like this, what with different folks coming and going over the long term :P

(This is an updated graph from our Beta 11 stats--the Beta 12 prereleases would show a similar comparison, but it's not being included here.)

This time around I compiled a new category of win data people have been curious about: win types. As of Beta 10 there are 9 different win types, and according to Beta 12 records, 11 Rogue difficulty players have at some point earned every single win type at least once (there might be more who did not play Beta 12 in particular). Adding in Adventurer/Explorer runs does not change the count, which makes sense since it's generally the more hardcore players going up against every single ending (and winning).

Some other Rogue-specific win type data (remember that despite this including historical runs from earlier versions, our data is only looking at those who at least played one qualifying Beta 12 run):

Thus 32.0% of Beta 12 players have one at least one run at some point before, and 15.6% have at least two different types.

w0 is the most common, of course, and although we we can't really know how many "w0 of shame" that includes, a respectable near-half of runs are alternative wins requiring at least one late-game branch visit. Some of the win types are clearly rare, either because they're difficult to discover, or are simply really challenging (leading in many cases to a w0 instead when the primary goal was not achieved).

Among the unique winning accomplishments that aren't explicitly represented by a win type, special shoutout to Runia for being the first and only player to have successfully managed to fire the Drained L-Cannon and even use it to get an extended ++ win. Some video and summary/notes by Runia here--EXTREME EXTENDED GAME SPOILERS.

Scrap Engine

One of the main new features of Beta 12, even though not yet fully integrated plot-wise, was the already mechanically-complete easily-acquired Scrap Engine. We have a few basic stats on that.

472 runs (5.7%) used the Scrap Engine (SE) at all, and a total of 127 unique players (21.6%) tried it at least once. 71 winning runs used the SE, or 15.0% of all SE runs, most of them using it heavily as opposed to for a short time. Naturally these same folks generally created and modified greater numbers of constructs.

(Construct creation does not include modifications to existing constructs, a much greater number by around a factor of 20.)

Garrisons and DSFs

One of the other major enhancements of Beta 12 was the new Garrisons, so that probably means more Garrison visits and use of related mechanics.

18.3% of runs entered at least one Garrison in Beta 12, compared to 12.0% in Beta 11. 4.0% entered three or more (2.6% did so in Beta 11).

But continuing to follow our general RIF stats in this version, we can can see how garrison visitors were somewhat less interested in bothacking this time around, thus were clearly eager to enter Garrisons specifically to see the sights and/or acquire the other new benefits.

Speaking of new benefits, at least 1.2% of runs acquired the Encrypted Comm Array. The true number is likely higher, but it wasn't until Beta 13 that I added a way to more easily analyze that in the scoresheets, so I'm basing it purely on the number of runs in which it was actually used to rendezvous with allies (technically not a requirement to ultimately benefit).

One of our other small maps-between-maps, DSFs are also relatively new, having only been added in Beta 11. Last time I reported that 10.5% of runs visited at least one, and interestingly that level continues to hold, with 10.9% of runs visiting a DSF in Beta 12. It appears we can say with confidence that DSFs have their uses and are doing just fine--I know I've ducked into them on occasion either for fun, or to avoid trouble or get a quick build together.

Strats and Miscellany

Traps, reborn as a strong supporting strategy as of Beta 11 and gaining significant popuarity from then on, continue to enjoy the same popularity with 445 extractions by the top 20 trap users in Beta 12, compared to 428 before. The average number of traps and overall Trap Extractor use remained similar. Traps good.

Among the many uses of traps is convoy interception. 21.7% of runs that made it to -7 (lowest convoy depth) reported at least one interception. Now technically the player may not be the one who triggers it, but for some folks we can see it's quite clearly deliberate, especially those who intercept numerous convoys, and just happen to be heavy trap users, one of the most reliable ways to accomplish that task...

Notice how many of the leading convoy interceptors are also on their way to winning runs. Pure coincidence, I'm sure ;)

From the data I think everyone's come to terms with the Beta 11 fabrication overhaul and is making healthy use of the system. 35.2% of runs built at least one part, only a little lower than Beta 11, and an average of 1.38 parts were built (1.6 in Beta 11, 2.5 in Beta 10). (Note: As usual fab stats are only looking at runs that made it to at least -6.) 12.4% of runs built a robot, 0.53 on average.

20.6% of runs carried at least one Authchip, significantly higher than the 11.8% of Beta 11, and 46% of those runs used at least one of them to build something, not as high as in Beta 11 when everyone was still getting familiar with the system and how they wanted to make use of it, but significant enough to see that a good portion of players know what they want out of Authchips and are packing them in advance with a possible goal in mind.

Also with respect to Fabricators... only 4.6% of runs that reached -6 used some amount of fabnet, down from 7.9% in Beta 11 when it was introduced. And only 3 runs hit the cap (15%), down a lot since last time as well. So it does look like the previous release was more folks who wanted to try out a new feature (after even discovering it anyway--I'm sure many don't know it exists), and now it's settled down to being just another tool that might get some use in the right kind of run. MTF autooverrided the most bots in a single run with 40, and at only a 6% peak throughout, so it also helps to spread out lower numbers over a greater stretch of depths (he didn't even start until -3, then had a fabnet up for the remainder of that run which went on to an extended win).

One of the activities that's been somewhat more common in the Cogmind community lately, either as a goal in itself, or something to survive after causing too much trouble for some other reason, is sterilization. Forcing Complex 0b10 into a complete floorwide meltdown can be quite a challenge, rewarding if pulled off, and let's face it, is pretty funny when you get to walk around an empty floor with hopefully enough cooling to loot the place before being forced out :D

Surprisingly 354 runs (4.4%) sterilized at least one floor in Beta 12. Less surprisingly, none of the top 10 sterilization runs went on to win...

Despite not quite reaching the end, leiavoia did top the overall leaderboards within their epic sterilization run for the sheer score achieved by doing this, even without a win. As you can see some sterilization-oriented runs also tend to be on the longer side--it takes a while to both set up for and destroy that many bots while avoiding a swift death!

17.2% of the runs that completed two sterilizations did go on to win, however. 10.1% of the runs that only completed a single sterilization ended up winning, more than twice the overall win rate. Sterilizers are serious, 0b10.

(My own last run ended up sterilizing -3/Research in order to escape after I was blocked into a corner for plastering one too many walls with robot guts. It was a win, too, although not included in these stats because that's Beta 13...)

And finally, following up on one of Beta 11's new strategic options that I covered in more detail last time: the Exo build. Only 11 runs used Exo in Beta 12, or 0.1% of the total, compared to 82 (0.8%) in Beta 11. It was a new thing back then, so not surprising there was more uptake in the previous release. 95.2% of those which entered and survived S7 did not integrate (compared to 73.1% in Beta 11). It's usually a last resort sort of thing for most people, or something to fool around with, since it either offers less challenge, or a very different kind of challenge (it's not like everyone easily survives using it :P). I mentioned before that it might get further tweaks, but so far it seems about where I'd like it to be insofar as it serves its purpose in terms of lore, balance, and strategic options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version